Defer school oxfordshire

Pixie77

Has anyone successfully deferred their child's place with Oxfordshire council? My daughter turns 4 in August but we won't be in Oxfordshire until about November so she won't be in nursery/school until then so we're going to defer her reception place & start her in nursery.

Just wondering how easy it is. Got the forms & we need to supply evidence...hoping a letter from childcare will be enough. 

What is the policy on deferrals there? Is there anything on the council or school website? Have you spoken to the school directly to discuss? Or the council?

My understanding of deferring a place (this is an in general, not an area specific as we looked into it when ours started school) is that they cannot guarantee a place if you defer to start later in the year. However, if you are deferring the entire year it may be different. Its quite common these days for parents of children born the last few weeks of August to defer but it really comes down to school and area policy and I'd think demand on places. 

I'd probably do the same for a late August baby. I know a fair few kids who've struggled being so young especially on the early years of school. Hopefully you can get the start deferred to the following September :) Missing the first few months of the school year for a child so far off being 5 is a good thing to consider also so hoping the council agrees with you. Don't be afraid to appeal if need be.