How is 'experience' measured for 457

Robbouk

Hi

Looking at helping my adult children secure a 457 visa.  Slightly unaware/confused about the amount of 'experience' required.

If the applicant has a skill that is on the CSOL and/or SOL, but no formal higher education qualification in that or other subjects (went straight from high school to working), then how many years experience do they need?

This scenario is in the IT support domain and assuming that they would have to produce a report to be assessed by the Australian Computer Society.

Other info

Age - 22

English Language - English citizen and willing to take IELTS if necessary

Good character and health

No criminal convictions

34 minutes ago, tazmancblue said:

No, it's not point related for a 457.

whilst I can't comment on the IT sector in particular, I needed to prove 6 years experience in my field of work to enable me to pass the criteria.

That's good to know, so I just need to find out how many years he needs to qualify as a 457 candidate :-)

18 hours ago, Robbouk said:

That's good to know, so I just need to find out how many years he needs to qualify as a 457 candidate :-)

The 457 is though a temporary visa and no guarantee that it will lead to permanency

12 minutes ago, ali said:

The 457 is though a temporary visa and no guarantee that it will lead to permanency

very true, but it will increase his skills to a point where he is more likely to qualify for a skilled independent visa, well thats the plan anyway.

It might be worth him looking at what qualifications/skills etc., he needs by the assessing authority to pass the skills assessment for an independent visa then he can be working towards those if he hasn't got them already.  Most occupations on the skills list (if not all) will require some formal certifications, nursing for example now requires degrees rather than diploma's

Archived