Teaching in Qld

Playghirl

Hands up if you are teaching in Queensland/ Im teaching in NSW and the dept doesn't recognise my years teaching in the UK. I WAS STEP 13. They put me on step 1. Aghh. I get work as a casual teacher in Sydney most days. I'm special ed experience. Thinking of moving to Brissy, cheaper houses etc etc. When I phoned the QTC to enquire they didn't know but thought that my overseas would probably be recognised.So Im looking for recent experience of teachers teaching in QLD who may have done something similar.

I am a relief teacher here in Brisbane, though I trained here so I'm in a rather different boat than you are, and can't give you any advice on that. There are many primary schools with SPE departments that would welcome your experience (by secondary many of these student go into Special Schools) but beware, NSW are the only state in Australia that has no reciprocal agreement with other states to allow teachers to easily register.

Relief teaching, for a class teacher in primary anyway, tends to be rather quiet this time of year but goes manic in Terms 2, 3 and to some extent 4.

• 1 month later...

I am teaching here in Brisbane and did my B.ed in the UK.  It did take a few months for my qualifications and teaching experience to get recognised.  In relation to my teaching experience I had to get a letter/record of employment from my last UK employer detailing how many years I had worked within the department, how many days absence/ leave I had taken and my hours of work.I had to send this to the department of education here and within a few weeks my correct status was reflected in my pay. I initially registered for relief work, getting on average 4 days per week.  Good luck with the move.