Aged Parent Visa 804 0r 864

JacquiL

Hi Can anyone answer this? My Mum is currently weighing up which aged parent visa to apply for. With the 804 I understand there is a very long waiting list and in the meantime you sit on a bridging visa. On arrival in Australia as a UK resident you are entitled to medicare as a visitor under the reciprocal agreement. I understand that you are usually issued with a medicare card valid for 5 years. My question is what happens after the 5 years does anyone know if it is renewed? Thanks in advance

Well first off, it's all down to the Medicare office as to how long they issue a are for. In my experience they are totally clueless about visas. When I was on temporary visas they issued them for one year at a time. Then once I was on a bridging visa they would only issue a three month card at a time as they said they didn't know how long it would be, even though I pointed out it was longer than that.

Even when I got PR they didn't want to accept it was PR as it said you are free to come and go for five years, so they said that meant it was temporary, even though the visa said permanent. :-/