Keep UK bank account?

woody123

Interesting reading. We have two accounts in the UK, one has a regular monthly amount paid into it, so no problem that it might be closed down due to inactivity. However, I am concerned about the other account that has not had any movement on it for about two years now (since we moved here on PR's). How likely is it, that the bank might close it down? We use a friend's address for correspondence, as at the time understood that the banks would not issue/send any new debit cards to an overseas address.

I'm sure someone on here will have a definitive answer on this. These forums are soo useful.

After 5 years I'm still paying mortgage, utilities etc in the UK, and I even pick up the odd contract of work when I visit there sometimes so a bank account is essential.

I use a digital mailbox (http://www.pc2paper.co.uk/) - it's a good deal, gives you a PO Box (which my bank and almost everyone else accepts) where someone scans all your post in and uploads it to cloud storage with an email notification. That way you always have access to it wherever you end up. If they receive something like a new bank card, they can deduct a few pounds from your account and forward it to an Australian address of your choice.