Advice needed re migrating with AAT qualification

sarahsplity

Hi,

We are looking into emigrating and need some advice.

I am about to turn 44 and my husband is 45. I have an AAT qualification with 5 years experience in industry and was hoping to take my CIMA next before applying but this will take me past getting any points for age.

We are not particular where we go to in Australia so would it be possible to go to Australia and achieve my CIMA there? could I be sponsored and employed with my experience in AAT, pass CIMA in Australia and gain entry that way? I do have an Australian qualification but its in childcare (Level 3).

My husband currently works for Royalmail (5 years) and was hoping to continue that job with Australia Post, he also has a class 1 HGV (C+E) and a welding qualification but has never been employed as a welder.

So any advice on the best way for us to gain entry to Australia would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Hi,

We are looking into emigrating and need some advice.

I am about to turn 44 and my husband is 45. I have an AAT qualification with 5 years experience in industry and was hoping to take my CIMA next before applying but this will take me past getting any points for age.

We are not particular where we go to in Australia so would it be possible to go to Australia and achieve my CIMA there? could I be sponsored and employed with my experience in AAT, pass CIMA in Australia and gain entry that way? I do have an Australian qualification but its in childcare (Level 3).

My husband currently works for Royalmail (5 years) and was hoping to continue that job with Australia Post, he also has a class 1 HGV (C+E) and a welding qualification but has never been employed as a welder.

So any advice on the best way for us to gain entry to Australia would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I really think you ought to get professional advise from a migration agent rather than rely on the opinions of random strangers on a forum (of course you can ignore the opinion of this random starnger!)

There are some good migration agents who post on here but they are not going to give you the personal advice you need.

It is possible for you to be sponsored if you could find a willing company & then gain your CIMA there but i don't see how that helps - the fact you have been sponsored and are in Australia on a temporary work visa doesn't change the criteria for a permanent migration visa and you will definitely be then past getting any points for age.

Do you have a degree? I don't know anything about the skills assessment for Accountancy but I'd be really surprised if you don't need one.

If you are not bothered where you go (a little strange as it is a vast country with massive difference in climate, terrain and culture depending where you are) then maybe the lost of age points can be offset by state sponsorship - have a look at this for states offering 190 and 489 sponsorship.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/733111

I believe Childcare level 3 does enable you to gain employer sponsorship for a 187 visa as a 'Child care group leader' and this is a PR visa but unless you have recent experience it is rather unlikely an employer would sponser you, especially at a management level.

I don't know what your husband does at the Royal Mail (I work there at the moment too in IT!) but assuming it is a postal role there is no possibility of even sponsorship as those roles are not on the CSOL and ditto Truck Driver. Welding is not a consideration as he would need experience to pass a skills assessment.

Thanks for the reply, I don't intend to rely on random strangers opinions it was directed more at people who may have had similar experiences, we always intended to speak to an agent, I thought if someone had gained entry this way on a temporary visa, the Australian qualification be it CIMA or equivalent would replace the points lost for age.

Thanks

I am not an expert on accounting. Is your occupation an accountant or accounts assistant? Accountants are eligible, but you need to be a qualified accountant to gain any visa.

Childcare worker is not on either of the lists, though child care manager is, but this requires a degree.

If your AAT is eligible you would need to be fast as once over 45 it is impossible for most people to get enough points to be eligible.

Your husbands occupation will not help in fact his HGV would not be recognized in Oz - HGV drivers have to re take their test.

I would speak to a good agent

Childcare worker is not on either of the lists, though child care manager is, but this requires a degree.

There has been a lot of debate about this on this site recently & this is not the case - one of the agents clarified that a degree is not required even though it is skill level 1. Also Child Care Group Leader is on the list for 187 visas so if someone with a diploma could gain a sponsor in a regional area to work as a Group Leader

I think some of the confusion has come about because DIBP made a mistake and missed it off the list - this was addressed in these regulations https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2015L01148 but this runs in parallel to https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2015L01018 which is the list that tends to get published.

I know you're trained in law so I thought you'd appreciate these - not at all relevant to the OP but thought it was worth sharing with you.

Hi,

I recently applied for the 189 as an General Accountant. This category is very over subscribed. I was lucky to get an invite straight away with 75 points. 70 points currently takes around 2-3 months to get invited and they don't invite anyone with less than that at the moment. You could get 5 extra points for nominating NSW for the 190. They will only consider post qualification experience. I have the ICAEW qualification, you would need to check that the AAT covers all the syllabus that they require. Happy to answer any further questions if I can be of help

Archived