Wages in Bunbury

Guest susanmary38

Guest susanmary38

Hi all, please help

I have been offered a job out in Bunbury, but haven't got a clue if the wage offered is a good or bad offer, or could we live comfortably.

The offer is $62k, and is for the position of workshop supervisor in an engineering company. the job includes car, phone & $150.00/wk towards accomadation for 6 months.

There will be 3 of us, me, my wife & young daughter, in time Sue will be looking for work in the catering industry.

We are hoping for a pretty much similar standard of living as in the UK, such as 3 bed house, car, etc:unsure:

Thanks for your help. Dave n Sue

Others will be along to sort you out, but to me that sounds quite good for Bunbury. You may get more in Perth, but if you can get that in Bunbury you could have a good lifestyle I think.

It depends on what you do, but my husband was offered $45K at Busselton and we didn't think that was worth the move.

Guest susanmary38

Thanks for the reply, I gather Bunbury is a bit cheaper than Perth.

All the info I can gather is helpful, I'm a sheet metal worker.

Why are you looking to move from Timaru

Dave

Oh usual reasons - the adventure, different lifestyle, pay is usually a bit better than here, schools seem to have more going on, better climate. Having said that, OH seems to have gone off the boil a bit.

We go on our reccie tomorrow and will be taking in Bunbury amongst other places. We're intending to keep a visual diary on OH's blog, so when I can remember what it's called I'll post the address for anyone interested in following.

Guest susanmary38

let me know how you get on, and what you think of Bunbury & the West.

Dave

Oh usual reasons - the adventure, different lifestyle, pay is usually a bit better than here, schools seem to have more going on, better climate. Having said that, OH seems to have gone off the boil a bit.

We go on our reccie tomorrow and will be taking in Bunbury amongst other places. We're intending to keep a visual diary on OH's blog, so when I can remember what it's called I'll post the address for anyone interested in following.

think that's a pretty ok wage for Bunbury if it includes a car etc. We haven't got kids but find the cost of living pretty similar to back in the UK and reckon its an average wage around here.

Try taking a look at Hays recruitment website they have a salary comparison report on there.

House prices here are similar to Perth but are dropping at the moment so you should pick up a good 4x2 for $400 if not a bit less depending on what area you move to. Take a look at realestate.com.au and remember the prices are usually more than you will pay as they advertise over the going rate at the moment just in hope of getting a higher sale price.

School fees are only about $200 a year apparently for kids, thats for books etc, not 100% sure but take a look at threads by Kevin & Dawn or Sarah & Matt as they live locally and have kids.

Rentals are on average about $300 a week, we pay slightly more as we have air con, but haven't really used it that much to be honest.

Its cold here at the moment, well not as cold as the UK but cooler than we thought it would be, so bring warm jackets, duvets, blankets for the winter months as the houses don't have heating. But in summer its great weather and a little bit cooler than Perth and we always have this lovely cooling breeze that takes the sting out of the sun and boy does it sting. The days at the moment are about 15 on average and you can walk about in a tshirt and jeans pretty much, when it rains it pours so bring some good brollies lol.

Sarah

Guest susanmary38

Thanks for that.

great reply, much appreciated, we are building up an idea of life in Bunbury, so all replies are welcome.

Mid June here and still bloody cold, is summer ever going to arrive.

We have just put the house on the market, but things are slow at the mo, we can't wait to get over and sample the Ozzy way of life, & hopefully settle down and make roots.

We have 2 elder sons, 1 in the army who cannot wait to move with us once he leaves the armed forces, & Scott who is 17 and has no intention of moving out, this is causing a few problems at present

Are there many Brits out there in Bunbury?

Dave n Sue

There are a fair few Brits here and I know some of the girls get together for coffee in the week but I work full time so haven't done that or met many of them. We have made friends with both Aussie's and some fellow POMS and everyone is really friendly and helpful.

Guess you are putting your youngest on your visa as a dependent then? Tell him that the girls down here are really pretty, OH is very impressed everytime we go out and the boys here can be a bit scruffy and surfy they don't tend to dress up quite as much as the boys back in the UK lol.

I've put quite a few threads on about Bunbury so take a peek as you might get a general idea of the area. The beaches are fab and I've yet to see one busy or full and we've got plenty of choice of beaches here.

Sarah

Guest springflower

Hi Dave and Sue

I had a word with OH and he reckons the wage is average depending on which firm you are working for and how many hours etc. Having said that its a pretty good start especially with car (hopefully with petrol thrown in as well) and phone and money towards housing costs for when you arrive. There are loads of jobs going at the moment with the worsley expansion going off in Collie (about 40mins drive from Bunbury)

We live in Eaton with our two lads age 13 and 18, and they have settled and are enjoying every minute. Eldest is at Tafe at the moment doing his pre-app electrical but fingers crossed he starts his apprenticeship in a couple of weeks. the 13 year old has just got into racing Go Karts so hes happy! There is everything you need or want nearby, we have great shopping center here as well as being only 10 mins from Bunbury. The schools are great, my youngest went to Eaton Primary and now he is at Eaton Community College and doing really well. We have medical center, dentist, vets, sports center, library etc and their are more plans on the way. The collie river is great for walks and picnics in the summertime and of course the beaches in bunbury are brilliant, especially Koombana Bay with the dolphins swimming around. If your kids are into sports they are well catered for in fact everything is accessible.

You shouldnt have any problems finding work in the catering side as there are always plenty of jobs advertised, its just picking the ones that suit you best.

There are loads of poms living in and around Eaton and we meet up very regular, either the girls for coffee/lunch through the week and then we meet up for nights out, meals out, bbq in fact we dont really need an excuse to meet :v_SPIN: Its just a different lifestyle over here and we just love it.

Hopefully meet you when you arrive!

Jan

Hello Jan (Springflower), we live in Dalyellup and have been here since October, wondered where the rest of the POMS were, hear accents around town but have only met a small number.

We love living here as well and agree its a lovely way of life especially for kids, I would have loved to have grown up here.

Maybe we'll see you around

Sarah

Guest springflower
Hello Jan (Springflower), we live in Dalyellup and have been here since October, wondered where the rest of the POMS were, hear accents around town but have only met a small number.

We love living here as well and agree its a lovely way of life especially for kids, I would have loved to have grown up here.

Maybe we'll see you around

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I know so many people in Dalyellup, my first friend was Denise and since have just met up with so many more. If you are free this friday some of us are meeting for coffee/lunch at 12noon at the Cafe Bean, just down from Henry's.... come and join in we love making new friends, we will be there for at least a good two hours! A lot of the new girls have been here since last Oct/Nov so you wont be on your own. Hope to see you soon

Jan xx

Guest susanmary38

Hi guys

Thanks again for all your replies, not had a bad report yet on Bunbury, we just can't wait to get out there.

As we have said before, we were looking at Adelaide, but think Bunbury will be a better choice.

Keep the positives coming, I'll show my son Scott your mails, & hope it will go a little way to persuade him.

Thanks Dave n Sue

Hi Sarah

I know so many people in Dalyellup, my first friend was Denise and since have just met up with so many more. If you are free this friday some of us are meeting for coffee/lunch at 12noon at the Cafe Bean, just down from Henry's.... come and join in we love making new friends, we will be there for at least a good two hours! A lot of the new girls have been here since last Oct/Nov so you wont be on your own. Hope to see you soon

Jan xx

Thanks Jan, there's a shame we are off to Margaret River for the weekend lunchtime tomorrow otherwise I would have dropped in during my lunch hour. Have a cake for me and I'm sure we'll catch up soon, I look forward to meeting some more like minded people

Sarah x

Archived