EOI

Guest Woolich85

Guest Woolich85

Hey guys,

I've posted over on the "Ask an agent" page, but wanted to see if anyone from the community can help with my problem!

I'm looking for a little advise with filling out the EOI form...

I work as a Fire Alarm Technician, from 2007-2011 then from 2015 until now (just over 6 years total). This was only on the job training, I do not hold any qualifications as such.

I've just had a positive assessment from VETASSESS under Electronic Equipment Trades Worker (342313).

I have a Superior PTE score.

I am aged 31.

I was under the impression that I could claim 30 points for age, 20 for English and 10 for my skills assessment, however the EOI is only stating 50 points. I haven't put anything in the education box as I do not hold a qualification and I haven't put anything in the employment box as I thought I couldn't claim for skilled employment if that's what has contributed towards my skills assessment. Has anyone got any idea how I proceed from here?

You don't necessarily need qualifications to undertake skilled employment - you just need the requisite skills, which could be obtained through job training. Vetassess has no doubt docked you a certain amount of years skilled employment as they would consider there to be a minimum amount of time spent working to gain the skills necessary for the job. E.g. You've worked 6 years as a Fire Alarm Technician, but Vetasses only credits you with 5 as it would take 1 year to learn the ins and outs of the position to be considered 'skilled' at doing it.

To get the points in your EOI you need to fill out the employment section and select 'Yes' for skilled employment for the years that Vetassess credited you, and no for the years they didn't. So for example, if 2007 was assessed as a training year by Vetassess, in your EOI you would put:

1) 01/2015-current Fire Alarm Technician at 123 Ltd. YES for skilled employment.

2) 01/2012-12/2014 Otherwise employed at ABC Ltd. NO for skilled employment.

3) 01/2008-12/2011 Fire Alarm Tech at XYZ Ltd. YES for skilled employment.

4) 01/2007-12/2007 Fire Alarm Tech at XYZ Ltd. NO for skilled employment.

The form will then calculate that you have 5 years relevant skilled employment and give you points for it. You need to provide the Skills assessment from Vetassess plus all your supporting documentation to back this up when you are invited to apply for your visa, as claiming points incorrectly could have dire consequences.

Guest Woolich85

Hi ABC,

Thank you, a very detailed response. I completely understand that, thank you. I haven't had the paper copy through yet so I don't know when they have deemed me "skilled".

One thing I am unsure in is the education section. As part of my skills assessment, I have been awarded a AQFIII in Electronics and Communications. Do I list this down as a qualification and am I able to claim points for this?

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Is the assessment not available as a download? I never got a physical copy, only an electronic download. I've circled where you click to download in the picture below (taken from my Vetassess account) in case you missed it.

I'm not sure on the education section. You don't want to claim points you are not entitled to. I think that is one for the Ask an agent section. If AQFIII doesn't give any points then you might be able to put it down, but I would a cautious of putting down a qualification that I don't hold a certificate for as Vetassess may have determined you have equivalent skills as AQFIII, but that doesn't necessarily mean you hold an AQFIII qualification.

Vetassess.jpg

Vetassess.jpg

Guest Woolich85

Thanks again ABC and Richard,

Yes, i will wait until I have it in my hand before submitting the EOI. There is no download option, my page looks different to that so perhaps it's a different type of assessment. Was yours a trade?

I've paid the $20 for a scanned emailed copy to be sent so I know what I've got.

Thanks guys!!

Guest Woolich85

Thanks, really appreciate that. Glad I've got this cleared up, after all the skills assessment and English exams, then to do the EOI and it says 50 points was a squeaky bum moment ha. Back to 60 again!!

Thanks, really appreciate that. Glad I've got this cleared up, after all the skills assessment and English exams, then to do the EOI and it says 50 points was a squeaky bum moment ha. Back to 60 again!!

Exact same thing happened to me, was in right panic for a while until I got advice on the skills assessment qualification being an AQF III.

Guest Woolich85

Did you use an agent Zippy or do it yourself? Weighing up my options, I've done everything myself so far but don't want to make a mistake and risk losing the fee.

I started with an agent to get the Vetassess part, which they did really well, but as we started to prepare for the EOI I wasn't happy with how they were treating us so decided to go it alone.

To be honest its not to bad, the most important part is getting the EOI points right, the actual application after is pretty simple as its just filling out your personal information and uploading the documents, and this forum helped me out loads in getting it all together, We're right at the end now just waiting on a Vietnamese police clearance which is taking forever! but the hardest part of the whole thing for me was the vetassess at the beginning so much paperwork and running around getting statutory declarations etc...

You're claiming 30 points for age, 20 for english and 10 for qualification, I'm in almost exactly the same situation as you apart from different trade and losing 5 points due to my age therefor 190visa. I'd worked as a sheet metal worker for 5 years and never been qualified, I was originally going to use this for 5 points but it wouldn't have counted as I wasn't "skilled" As ABG said in a previous post they count work experience as on the job training for unqualified people, but if they've given you an AQF3 thats a 4 year course, so you lose 4 years work experience.

Make sure on the previous employment section you mark all of it as "unrelated employment", or it will give you points. The worst thing you can do is over claim points (well ticking yes on the "are you a terrorist?" question is probably worse). Not claiming work experience makes it loads easier as you only need to upload: skills assessment, AQF3 certificate, PTE results and passport/birth cert to get the points!

Edited by Zippy

Guest Woolich85

Thanks, Zippy. Yes, having six years experience and four counting towards my AQF means I will not be claiming any points for experience. Luckily, I have 60 without it. I pretty much got the EOI ready, just struggling with the education part as it asks for institution, and dates from and to. If you don't put the dates, it doesn't give you the points. I haven't received the skills assessment and aqf yet, and will of course wait for that before submitting anyway. I take it the aqf will have from and to dates etc?

The other thing that had me panicked, was when I select my occupation Electronic Equipment Trades Worker and Vetassess, it doesn't let me proceed as it says Vetassess doesn't assess that occupation. Technically, it is TRA, but only if in Australia. They use Vetassess. It's little errors like that which really make you doubt you're filling it in correctly!

I've just done my ACRO police check as I have a few cautions when I was younger. I've been clean for 9 years, but want to see what information they hold on me!

I spent ages trying to work out which dates to put in. I used the certificate date as the course end date and put the beginning as when I started working in the trade, so about 5 years prior in my case. I also used TRA as the awarding body as had same problem selecting vetassess, I actually tried them all and the only one it let me do was TRA so assumed it had to be that one! I put Australia as 'country of institution' and the 'campus' as the address on the skills assessment/AQF certificate.

Good luck with it all mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Woolich85

Good morning! So I awoke this morning to my scanned copy of my skills assessment (finally!!) from Vetassess. Does anyone concur with Zippy that the start date is when I started work in my trade, the end is the date of the certificate and the institution/campus will be Vetassess and their address? I'm suprised to not see a "skilled from" date as if I was looking for work experience for extra points surely I would need this date. They really don't make this easy at all do they!

Also, do I only need to include employment that's relevant to my trade (obviously selected as unrelated so I don't gain points) or all employment?

Thanks for your advice, very much appreciated.

Guest Woolich85

I'll do the same, won't hurt to list them all. Luckily I'm not going for work experience! On the Vetassess website it states that as of Feb 2015, all applications are supplied with points advise, but when I contacted them they said it was for general occupations only, not trade. The EOI seems quite straight forward now, the only part I wasn't sure of was the Education, but you've all helped me understand what is required. Very much appreciated!!

• 2 years later...

Hi Woolich85,

I know it is a relatively old topic but who did you use to assist with the Vetassessment process? I am basically in the exact same situation, occupation, age, experience wise and I find it very interesting that they only deducted 1 year for a qualification. 

Would you mind sharing a bit of information please?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Since 2016 I am having positive skill assessment from TRA in my occupation 342313. My MSA outcome clearly declare my work experience to claim point but MSA outcome does not mention my educational equivalency can I claim 10 point in education?

My second query, If I have B-Tech Hons that I did not mention at the time of TRA assessment how can I claim point for graduate education.

My education is in Pakistan  

WhatsApp Image 2019-03-23 at 1.10.53 AM.jpeg