Moving from Melbourne to Sydney - suburb advice needed!

dsdrussell

I got made redundant a few weeks ago and I'm on a 457 Visa.

I've been offered a job in Sydney who will take over my sponsorship, but I'm struggling to find a suburb with reasonable rent compared to what I've been paying in Melbourne!

The job is currently based in Bella Vista, but may be moving to the city next year. I'm going to have to buy a car anyway to get to work, so expecting at least an hour commute. I currently live in St Kilda in Melbourne, so ideally don't want to be too far from a beach, and will need a parking space.

I was paying $410 a week in Melbourne, for a 2 bed without parking, and ideally looking to pay no more than $500 a week - I can stretch to more, but reluctant to! I'm 40 and single, so don't mind an area that is a little lively!! Does anyone have any suggestions for suburbs to look at?

Thanks

Dean

Obviously the nicer ones are going to be more expensive but I reckon you have your reasoning right. If you're moving from St Kilda and liked it there I'm sure you will love it in one of Sydneys beachside ssuburbs. Obvious one is Bondi or anywhere round there. There is a lot of choice and Sydney is a great lively City. Personally I think any beachside suburb close to Sydney is better than St Kilda. Beaches better, more choice, better surf, cleaner ocean. Sydney is not too bad for public transport from a lot of the suburbs, bondi and manly would be pretty good. I would pay a lot more to be in a good place where you can enjoy a lot of entertainment for free.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Dean

I don't know suburbs well enough in Sydney to recommend them. Surry Hills gets recommended a lot and you also have Ultimo and Newtown. It may also be worth looking at house shares.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Was considering the likes of Bondi/Manly - liked Manly better when I last visited, but probably a little too pricey!

Not really looking for a house share at this point. Got an apartment full of furniture I've bought in Melb, which means I'll probably take this with me. Can always get a 2 bed anyway and rent out the spare room if I need the extra cash.

A friend of mine who used to live in Sydney suggested Cronulla, seems cheap compared to the others, but obviously a bit further out.

I'm heading across to Sydney at the end of next week to check out a few places and try to find somewhere to rent as my new job starts in January as long as my visa comes through in time (normally 2-4 weeks apparently)

How realistic is it that the job WILL move to the city?

If it's definite, then it opens up more options as you might be able to put up with a bad commute short term. If it's just a maybe, then think very hard about anywhere south of the harbour and don't even think about Cronulla (minimum 90 minutes e/w to Bella Vista in peak hour)

I reckon you can do it in your budget for a flat but you'll need to search around.

First off, Bella Vista is pretty poor for public transport at the moment (buses to Parramatta are good but that's about it) until the railway is built which will be another 3 years. So I agree you will be driving. Coming from Sydney to BV in the morning is OK because you're going against most of the flow, but there's still plenty of traffic. There's a massive business park there - Woolies is based there.

You might want to consider tolls as they soon add up and realistically you need to use the M2 to get to BV in sensible timescales from anywhere near the CBD. That's about $6.50 each way at the moment, so $65 a week. If you use the Lane Cove Tunnel (section of M2 between Artarmon and East Ryde) then add another $3.50 e/w to that, use the Harbour Bridge or Tunnel and that's another $4, but one way only.

Bella Vista is firmly in "sprawling suburbia" territory and there aren't many places I'd want to choose living as a singleton in a flat out there. I would definitely look towards the city centre

You might look at areas near the water in the Inner West - Drummoyne, Five Dock, Rozelle, Balmain (expensive tho'), Leichhardt, Annandale, Glebe - as there's a lot more life/single living going on, the commute will be tolerable to BV (up Victoria Rd and Pittwater Rd to Mac Pk and M2 from there, probably about 45-50 mins e/w). Further in from there (Newtown, Ultimo, Chippendale, Pyrmont), lots of flats and life, you'll have to watch your budget but should be possible, and add another 10-15 mins e/w to the journey

I honestly think eastern suburbs beachside places - Bondi, Coogee etc - and Manly are too far for a Bella Vista commute but like I said if it's short term then it might be doable. The roads are pretty awful/stacked both getting out from Kings X towards Bondi etc, and from Manly to Neutral Bay, so it will take time. Maybe 1hr 5-1hr 10 if you get a clear run, possibly up to 1.5 hrs each way? It's easier to find cheaper places in the Eastern Suburbs than Manly I think, when it comes to flats

I'd also consider on the north side places like Neutral Bay, Cammeray, Naremburn, Crow's Nest, maybe Lane Cove although that's getting a bit family-ish. Lots of flats, very easy to get into the city, a decent commute to BV if you don't mind stumping up for the tunnel and M2, quicker than the Inner West to be honest as the roads are faster.

There are some waterfront areas where there is lots of development going on further west - Rhodes, Breakfast Point, Chiswick etc but tbh I'm not sure I'd go for it unless necessary. You'll find somewhere in budget easy but these are pretty new development areas and whilst things are changing quickly, they can be a bit soulless and maybe not lively enough

No way of doing it without coming here and doing a bit of travelling around. If you do, rent a car to get about as public transport is pretty patchy and it will save precious time. You'll also need to see what driving will be like. Go straight to http://www.nobirds.com.au, cheapest by miles

Good luck. Sydney's a great city and I'm sure you'll find somewhere. Much like moving across the world, if I could give one piece of advice, don't try and replicate your Melbourne environment/life here or you'll probably end up disappointed. It's a different place.

Thanks Northshorepom. A lot of good suggestions there - thanks for taking the time!

Yeah, the job is with Woolies, they suggested the move may happen and hadn't been decided yet, but I've heard it is likely.

Agreed that Cronulla is too far.

Been told Bella Vista has no public transport, so knew I'd have to drive.

Heading across to Sydney for 5 days next week, so that should give me a good amount of time to check things out :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Big W is moving out, as they are trying to flog it and it makes it easier. Also they have struggled to find staff for Big W. My S-i-L who works in retail interviewed with them and the commute put her off, they get a lot of this feedback I think and that's a part of the move. Still, opportunity knocks if it means you might be up for a job*

Woolies central renewed the lease on the HQ just this year, so I can't see them going anywhere

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/the-hills/woolworths-hq-sale-smashes-hills-price-record/news-story/0b1c5f29e32471a383f3b5dffffed810

(I vaguely know the CEO of Mirvac, her son is a classmate with my son and we've had the odd chat, she was very pleased about this deal!)

*You're not a retail planner/merchandiser are you? She's always looking for staff also

The job is with Big W, so that makes sense. I know they are looking to sell and have been struggling recently. Yeah, I'm a retail merchandiser. Only got 2 1/2 months left to find a job or would have to leave Aus. They moved very quickly, so not surprised that have been struggling to find staff to move there.

I did have another potential role in QLD, but worried that Brisbane might be a little too quiet for me, even though rent is cheaper there. Figured I'd take my chances in the Sydney area as I know a few people in Sydney v nobody in Brisbane!

The job is with Big W, so that makes sense. I know they are looking to sell and have been struggling recently. Yeah, I'm a retail merchandiser. Only got 2 1/2 months left to find a job or would have to leave Aus. They moved very quickly, so not surprised that have been struggling to find staff to move there.

I did have another potential role in QLD, but worried that Brisbane might be a little too quiet for me, even though rent is cheaper there. Figured I'd take my chances in the Sydney area as I know a few people in Sydney v nobody in Brisbane!

Brisbane might be a good call too. It won't be too quite, it's just as lively (if not more so) as Sydney. It's not on the coast but the sunshine and gold coast are in easy reach.

Brisbane is a nice City.