Converting 457 to PR

newgirl

Hi,

I've been working in Australia for just over 1 year on a 457. What would be my best route in applying for PR? I believe I cannot apply via employer nominated route until I have worked for them for 2 years? I assume there would then be some period after PR granted that I would need to continue to work for that employer (legally not just morally!). Am I able to go down the state sponsored route whilst working here on 457? Does this stand a reasonable chance of success?

Thanks

Hi Newgirl, you might be eligible to apply for PR through the "Direct Entry" stream which does not require you to have worked for your employer for 2 years on a 457 visa. There are however additioal requirements - a skills assessment may be needed; and postgraduate work experience of 3 years also may be needed, depending on the type of visa. Alternatively there's no reason you can't go down the route of skilled migration (independent or state sponsored) if you are eligible.