Lack of work experience

DaveFrickleton

Hello

I have been recently studying mechanical/ electrical engineering only at btec level 3 standard but enough to become a technician or similar job. Could I gain a visa with no work experience or is there a minimum amount of work experience required as I have seen that there is a shortage of skills in this area? I have been working in the fire service for the last 14 years previous to this study could this help?

Thank you for reading my post.

This will be tough Dave. To use this qualification for a trade application, you'll need some relevant work experience post-qualification to make it through the skills assessment. If your fire service experience was relevant to an assessable occupation then you might be able to apply using that. However, I suspect your experience isn't assessable unfortunately.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan

If you mean a student visa, you would need to get accepted on an appropriate Australian course first and then apply.

You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

Work that is a formal registered part of your course is not included in the limit of 40 hours per fortnight.

Regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Gregan