Will I need a bridging visa?

EdAndCass

Hi all,

I just had a few questions about the next steps for my visa applications. We have just been granted (within the last week) a prospective marriage visa (subclass 300) which expires on 26/07/2017. We have planned our wedding for 25/06/2017 so this will only give us approximately a month to apply for the next visa, the temporary/permanent partner visas (subclasses 820/801) which leads on o my questions.

1) What are the timescales for assessment and grant of the temporary partner visa? Is it days? and so I don't need to worry about it as long as I apply as soon as we have married and we will have it granted by the end of my PMV?

2) If the timescale is more like weeks or months, and so will likely be granted after the expiry of my PMV do I need to apply for a bridging visa? The border.gov.au website seems to suggest that a Bridging Visa A will automatically be granted on application of some substantive visas, but I can't find a list of what these visas are to check. Is this true? Or is is another bridging Visa and will I still be able to work?

Thank you for helping!

Once you are married you need to apply for the partner visa pretty quick sharp in view of your timings. The bridging visa I snot something that you can apply for separately, it will be part and parcel of the partner visa application. Partner visas take a long time at the moment, about a year or so, so you will definitely be on a bridging visa for some while.

Hi - I moved from a 457 visa to an 801 a couple of years ago when the published wait time was supposedly 14 months, but here's my experience:

- The bridging visa becomes valid as soon as you submit your 820/801 application and has the effect of extending the validity of your existing visa until you get a decision on whether or not your 820/801 application is successful.

- It took me about 5 weeks to complete submission of my 820/801 application, most of that was waiting for police checks to come back from the UK and the AFP.

- Once submitted I was granted an 801 permanent visa in 9 days thus completely by-passing the 820 visa.

My guess is that provided your evidence is all in English and pretty straight forward (we'd already been married 8 years) it's actually really straight forward. I'd guess that the 14 month 'average' relates to those coming from non-English speaking countries where it is problematic to get recognised translations and bureaucratic processes are alien to the Australian APS.

Bungo explained it well. Afaik if your PMV does run out you and you've lodged your partner visa application you should automatically go onto a bridging visa (without travel rights I think) till the partner visa is granted. Partner visa applications on shore go onto bridging visas with full work rights. A PMV comes with work rights too iirc.

IIRC if moving from the PMV to the 820 temp visa they are often granted pretty quickly but don't bank on it. Its the second stage of that visa that can take a long long time to come through. Be prepared for this. Many months is normal.

I'd ensure you have all your partner visa paperwork up together for when you plan to lodge. It should be straight forward enough to have the documents etc you will need for the first stage of the partner visa after a PMV. And once lodged, ensure you continue to keep all your supporting evidence paperwork etc for when the second stage comes round and you will be expected to provide proof the marriage is still ongoing etc.

Keep in mind and also be prepared for some employers to not understand the PMV and temp stage partner visa. You may find it harder to gain employment. Some do ok, others struggle till they are on a permanent visa.