Grad School Scholarships on a 186 Visa

GPlans

I would like to apply for the 186 Direct Entry Stream visa. I am currently on a 457 and my partner is under my visa. I have two question:

– If I apply for a 186 do I have to lodge an application for her? Can she stay on the 457 partner visa that she is on now?

– My partner would like to go to grad school and she is eligible for scholarships only for foreign students. If she does receive a 186 visa under my 186 visa will this affect applying for any future foreign students scholarships?

Thanks

G

I would like to apply for the 186 Direct Entry Stream visa. I am currently on a 457 and my partner is under my visa. I have two question:

– If I apply for a 186 do I have to lodge an application for her? Can she stay on the 457 partner visa that she is on now?

– My partner would like to go to grad school and she is eligible for scholarships only for foreign students. If she does receive a 186 visa under my 186 visa will this affect applying for any future foreign students scholarships?

Thanks

G

Your partner has a subclass 457 as a secondary applicant on your visa. If you are granted a subclass 186, there is no longer a subclass 457 visa for her to be associated with and her subclass 457 could face cancellation. The other issue is, even if you do not include them on your 186 application, as your partner (member of family unit), she will still need to pass medicals and Character (Police Clearances).

As the holder of a 186 visa she would be a Permanent Resident and thus unlikely to be considered a foreign student.

Archived