VISA Advice for medics

Thom4444

Hello

my husband is a hospital doctor and considering a job offer in Queensland. We are looking hard at the pros and cons of moving over with kids aged 10 and 13. We would be coming over on his visa . Whilst living as a dependent initially, I would also want to work at some point too (I'm a GP).

Do I need my own visa? As I wouldn't have a fixed jobs when we go over I wouldn't be able to have an employer to sponsor me though. Or can I work in my own right as a GP after coming over as his dependent??

We've both worked in Oz before in 2000 for 18 months and would love to come back if all works out!

You will need first to see if your gp qualifications allow for you to work as a VR GP first. I have only worked with GPs going from Aus to UK and they need to provide all their assessments during their training program with the royal college of GPs all signed by the director of the training organisation. I would assume something similar will be needed going the other way. Secondly are you affected by the morotorium? As that will affect where you can work as a GP. You will need a medicare provider number and the restrictions on yours will depend on your qualifications as determined by RACGP and the morotorium.

You're not affected by the moratorium as the 10 years would have lapsed after your initial medical registration - I'm assuming you registered then as a doctor? You will i think however be restricted to DWS until you have a PR visa.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Many thanks for the replies- from the website it seems I qualify for a class 1 (unrestricted) entry re qualifications as I have MRCGP & other qualifications that are considered interchangable with the Aussie versions. The problem I think if I wanted to work would be that new overseas GPs have to go to areas of need? I wouldn't be too happy having to leave hubby and kids if there wasn't one locally. Although I had heard that female GPs with gynae qualifications were in short supply?

Moratorium - sounding thick but what would that be???? Sorry to sound dense this has all been a bit sudden .

Medicare benefits (ie income from ant work outside public hospital) is not allowed until 10 years after your initial medical registration in Australia. If you register as a doctor in 2000 then it has lapsed. That's S19AB - Google it. But unless you're on A PR visa you'll them be restricted under s19AA. If your husband has a visa and you're on that then iv been told that you're not required to work in aon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk