601 (visitor) visa - slightly over 3 month stay

itegoa

Hi,

The Father-in-law has just got his 601 visitor visa (with a maximum 3 month stay) and booked his flights, and checking the dates I see his stay will be for 3 months and 2 days!

I don't think border patrol are going to come and bust down the door, but it got me thinking - what happens when he tries to apply for another visitor visa in the future? Could this be grounds to refuse the visa?

Has this happened to anyone else?

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/expired-visas/community-status-resolution-service/exclusion-period-fact-sheet

Its says it will apply to all for overstays of 28 days plus. However, while it makes no mention of under that time frame, they could issue bans for stays of less than this I would imagine. I don't know though. Hopefully someone does. If in doubt, check with an agent.

Personally, if it were me, I'd change the return flight date to depart before the 3 month stay ticks round. I'd not want to risk any possible issues in future if I was planning on coming back for regular holidays.