Help!! Moving to Oz

Kat88888888

Hi there, we returned from a working holiday visa 1 year ago and we are wanting to move to Australia permanently. My partner is a chef and worked in Oz for the year as a chef in 2 amazing companies. We are wanting to have our first child before we go so will only be a baby before we go. I am wondering how easy it will be to move there with a young baby with him being a chef and me being a receptionist in a hospital. Thank you for your help in advance smile.gif

Hi Kat

Chef is on the SOL again at the moment as long as experience is in a professional kitchen. But there's no guarantee that by the time you have your baby wand want to go out there that it will still be on it. Chef is one that comes and goes quite regularly.

What type of partner are you both to each other? Are you married? How long have you been together? If you're both from the UK, and have been together a long time, I would recommend you get married. Much easier (and cheaper) than obtaining a defactor/partner visa.

If your partner gets the sponsorship for being a chef, he can take family members with him on this visa.

Cheers

If you can apply for a PR visa rather than a sponsorship that is certainly a better option for security.

My hubby is a chef and we are on a 4 year 457 visa from the UK. This was our only route in to Australia at the time and ultimately we would like to stay here and move forward with the PR visa.

The 457 visa is far from secure though, and for us, and due to a big company restructure, we are currently looking for a new sponsor and hubby has handed his notice in. very scary times. However, there are lots of 457 chef sponsorship jobs out there. Or skill assessment with vetassess and find a 187 sponsor which is a PR visa...not overly confident on the structure of this visa but I believe you need a job lined up and also be state sponsored (regional)...im sure someone else can give you more accurate information

good luck

Hi there, we returned from a working holiday visa 1 year ago and we are wanting to move to Australia permanently. My partner is a chef and worked in Oz for the year as a chef in 2 amazing companies. We are wanting to have our first child before we go so will only be a baby before we go. I am wondering how easy it will be to move there with a young baby with him being a chef and me being a receptionist in a hospital. Thank you for your help in advance smile.gif

Hi! Congratulations if you are pregnant already, apologies that abit unclear.. adding the baby to the visa relatively simple especially if you are using an agent. You can still get your SMP in Australia as well as a buffer so that would be something to think about, thats what i did and migrated 6 months pregnant. Moving with a young baby is hard! But in some ways easier in the long term as it gets you out to meet people and keeps you busy and focussed. Its more the financial side and practicalities but if you are a strong team you will work it out. You also have a year to validate your visas after grant so you will have options. I found having a baby here a wonderful experience as everyone has been so supportive and the hospitals were brilliant. We wanted to have our second baby and our visas came first so we thought lets just go for it. Although having your family around with a newborn can be a great help that is something serious to consider. Doing it on your own is exhausting... but never a dull momeent! Im so tired this morning the coles man delivered 12kg of apples to my door that i must have ordered doing the online shop at 3am!!!

Hi Kat

Chef is on the SOL again at the moment as long as experience is in a professional kitchen. But there's no guarantee that by the time you have your baby wand want to go out there that it will still be on it. Chef is one that comes and goes quite regularly.

What type of partner are you both to each other? Are you married? How long have you been together? If you're both from the UK, and have been together a long time, I would recommend you get married. Much easier (and cheaper) than obtaining a defactor/partner visa.

If your partner gets the sponsorship for being a chef, he can take family members with him on this visa.

Cheers

Thank you for your reply, sorry it has taken so long to respond my internet has been playing up. We are not married but we are engaged. We have been together for 5 years and we are both from the UK. Looks like we will have to start planning to move a bit sooner then expected if there is a risk of it not being on there. Thank you for the great advice :)

Hi! Congratulations if you are pregnant already, apologies that abit unclear.. adding the baby to the visa relatively simple especially if you are using an agent. You can still get your SMP in Australia as well as a buffer so that would be something to think about, thats what i did and migrated 6 months pregnant. Moving with a young baby is hard! But in some ways easier in the long term as it gets you out to meet people and keeps you busy and focussed. Its more the financial side and practicalities but if you are a strong team you will work it out. You also have a year to validate your visas after grant so you will have options. I found having a baby here a wonderful experience as everyone has been so supportive and the hospitals were brilliant. We wanted to have our second baby and our visas came first so we thought lets just go for it. Although having your family around with a newborn can be a great help that is something serious to consider. Doing it on your own is exhausting... but never a dull momeent! Im so tired this morning the coles man delivered 12kg of apples to my door that i must have ordered doing the online shop at 3am!!!

Thank you for your reply, sorry it took so long to respond my internet has been playing up. We are not pregnant as yet but we are definitely planning. Well done to you for coming out the other side even it if it is with a huge quantity of apples haha. We are a very strong team, we have been through a lot together already so now is our chance to have the life we have always wanted :) that's good to know that the pregnancy and birth experience was a good one out there with lots of support. What type of visa did you go to Oz with? Congratulations on your little one :)

Thank you for your reply, sorry it took so long to respond my internet has been playing up. We are not pregnant as yet but we are definitely planning. Well done to you for coming out the other side even it if it is with a huge quantity of apples haha. We are a very strong team, we have been through a lot together already so now is our chance to have the life we have always wanted :) that's good to know that the pregnancy and birth experience was a good one out there with lots of support. What type of visa did you go to Oz with? Congratulations on your little one :)

The 457 is the worst of all the visas. It comes with many issues and is not a migration visa. It is a temporary work permit that can be granted from 1 day to 4 years with the assumption you leave at the end. It also comes with a lot of issues. First, it is tied to the employer, so, if he were to lose his job, you would all only have 90 days to find another willing and able to sponsor, or all leave the country. Second, holders are entitled to no benefits including child benefits. Third, the partners can have serious issues getting work as they are only temporary residents. There are a number of other issues.

At at the moment chef is available for independent skilled migration via a 189 visa. This is the best visa possible. I would strongly urge you to look at this first.