457 visa with no trade

Guest john788

Guest john788

HI all,

I am going to oz in september on a work holiday visa hoping to stay out there.

I heard of a few people going over without any trade and getting sponsored for a 457 visa.one person was a waiteress and the other drove for a bakery..is it possible for employers to sponsor these people?.I know their jobs are not on the sol list.

Is it worth the risk for me to go looking for a sponsorship with no trade..

thanks

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello John

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

I'm not a migration agent so I am hazy about the idea, but I think it works roughly as follows:

The temporary 457visa and the permanent RSMS visa both give "regional concessions" under which the skills reqirements are less stringent than they are for some of the other skilled visas. In particular, under the above scheme is is possible to nominate skills in ASCO Groups 5-7 or alternatively it is possible for DIAC to consider a candidate who does not have the levels of qualification and/or work experience that are normally required.

Please see the following links:

Employer Sponsored Workers - Workers - Visas & Immigration

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)

The full ASCO Code is here:

http://www.ausstats.abs.gov.au/ausstats/free.nsf/Lookup/A86A0162E6F672DFCA256ADB001D10D4/$File/asco.pdf

I remember reading a thread on here a few months ago. The girl (or her friend) initially said she was a "waitress." Somebody looked up the ASCO Code and between them they came up with something like "Hospitality Manager" because the girl was doing the meeting & greeting, not just putting food on the plates. Whatever the second job title was, it was within Groups 5-7 and she might have done a short course leading to AQF II or something like that.

I'd have thought, however, that a much easier way would be to focus on a job that is on the MODL and is likely to stay there. Become an offsider is whatever field it is. Work your way up and maybe go to night school so as to get AQFii as a rookie bricklayer or whatever it happens to be.

Then consider bricklaying somwhere where nobody else wants to lay bricks because I'm sure that the more remote the locatio of the employer the easier it would be to get the exemptions for the 457/RSMS regional schemes.

As to whether it is worth "the risk" I think it depends on one's own perception of "risk" and also on one's definition of "adventure."

You can now get a second year on a WHMV as long as you are under 31 when you apply. To qualifiy for the second year you have to do "sesonal" work for a minimum of 3 months. The list of jobs that you culd do in order to qualify is broader than you might think:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 49. Working Holiday Programme

Delve around in the sublinks above. There is a list that includes aquaculture, fishing, forestry and suchlike. Apparently construction work is now included, and the Minister has said that he would like to bring mining jobs within the eligibility for a second year stay.

If you could do even a semi-skilled job in the mines you would earn a comparitive mint, I am told. If so then it could potentially fund life on a Student Visa for a couple of years once your second year on the WHMV is up. Via the Student visa you could learn a skill which would then enable you to apply for a more conventional route to skilled permanent migration in Oz if the 457/RSMS route fails to work out.

Bear in mind too that people who start off from your sort of position often spend anything up to 5 years on a 457 visa before anything happens about trying to apply for PR in Oz. This way, even though they might be short on qualifications they wil be long on relevant know-how and experience in whichever job it is.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived