Nostalgia-what it used to mean

Guest surburberella

Guest surburberella

..." in 1688 Johannes Hofer, a Swiss scholar, created the word "nostalgia," combining the Greek word nostos, "return to the native land," with algos, the word for pain. He used this word to describe a new disease that affected people far from home. Its symptoms included "continued sadness, meditation only of the Fatherland, disturbed sleep, decrease of strength, hunger, thirst, palpitations of the heart, frequent sighs, stupidity of the mind—attending to nothing hardly, other than an idea of the Fatherland." The best remedy was to return sufferers home, for nostalgia could prove fatal."

I found the above quoted somewhere on the internet-describes my symptoms exactly!

(The thirst bit always comes on when I pass Dan Murphys:yes: and the stupidity of the mind-that might have always been:twitcy:)

What A Great Quote. It Sounds Very Personal To Me. I Feel All Of Those Things And Usually All At The Same Time So Makes It Very Difficult To Ignore The Facts. 1 Year Will Be The Way I Will Tackle The Problem And Then See How The Nostalgia Pans Out! Planning For 2009 So Have Plenty Of Time To Read Many Many More Threads And Comments!!!!!!

..." in 1688 Johannes Hofer, a Swiss scholar, created the word "nostalgia," combining the Greek word nostos, "return to the native land," with algos, the word for pain. He used this word to describe a new disease that affected people far from home. Its symptoms included "continued sadness, meditation only of the Fatherland, disturbed sleep, decrease of strength, hunger, thirst, palpitations of the heart, frequent sighs, stupidity of the mind—attending to nothing hardly, other than an idea of the Fatherland." The best remedy was to return sufferers home, for nostalgia could prove fatal."

I found the above quoted somewhere on the internet-describes my symptoms exactly!

(The thirst bit always comes on when I pass Dan Murphys:yes: and the stupidity of the mind-that might have always been:twitcy:)

stupidity of the mind that was me

John

Guest earlswood

I reckon I have 6 months to live.

Archived