Partner visa funds

Sunshinebear

Hi, I was born in Australia and have been living in England since I was 5yrs old. I'm now 33 with 3 children (14,12,6) and been with my partner for nearly 16yrs. We always wanted to move the family to oz and have decided to move in 2018. Our children have citizenship by desent so we are planning to apply for an offshore partner visa for the partner. The only thing that I'm not sure about is as his sponsor how I can show I can support him for the first 2 yrs. We are planning to all move together so I would not have a job in Australia. In the Uk we both work full time and plan to look for work as soon as we get to oz. My dad lives in Adelaide too and are planning to stay with him till we get work. We also will have about £40000 to full back on. Will this be enough? Is there a minimum amount of money you need to have to be a sponsor?

From what you have posted, it is unlikely that you will have an issue satisfying the minister that you can meet your sponsorship undertaking. You are not required to meet it on your own behalf, family support can be called upon. Do not volunteer information that is not requested.

We submit lots of partner applications in the UK and this question really never pops up. What you do get asked, as a sponsor, is for details about your employment (in the UK). And your partner (visa applicant) will be asked about how she is supported.

The assumption is that you will be able to take care of your family once you get to Australia. In the old days, and you may see this on old forums, people had to lodge an "assurance of support" bond if the Department felt that maybe the sponsor would struggle to support his/her family. But the rules have changed about this. And so generally the assumption is that you will be able to support your family.

Also, bear in mind that sometimes the sponsor is at home working hard to look after the family, but not actually bringing in an income, whereas the applicant has been the one bringing in the money. That's fine too. The Department does understand family dynamics.

The Department is not out to fail a visa application, they just have to make sure that all the criteria (genuine relationship, restriction on previous sponsorships, health and character) are met.

Hi, I was born in Australia and have been living in England since I was 5yrs old. I'm now 33 with 3 children (14,12,6) and been with my partner for nearly 16yrs. We always wanted to move the family to oz and have decided to move in 2018. Our children have citizenship by desent so we are planning to apply for an offshore partner visa for the partner. The only thing that I'm not sure about is as his sponsor how I can show I can support him for the first 2 yrs. We are planning to all move together so I would not have a job in Australia. In the Uk we both work full time and plan to look for work as soon as we get to oz. My dad lives in Adelaide too and are planning to stay with him till we get work. We also will have about £40000 to full back on. Will this be enough? Is there a minimum amount of money you need to have to be a sponsor?

• 2 months later...

@Sunshinebear

your background is very similar to mine. I was born in Adelaide, Australia and was brought to England when I was 4. Earlier this year we applied for both our daughters Australian citizenship by decent and went to London to get their passport and to get myself an Australian passport too. In June we applied for my husbands partner visa, this was granted 2weeks ago. We have been together for 22 years and married for 13 years. Our daughters are 12 and 7. We had no problems with the partner visa and he's also been granted the 100 straight away. The time given for the visa is 10-14 months so if you're looking to go in 2018 I would start your application soon, some do come through quicker than stated, like ours. Good luck with it all.

Thanks for replying nifa77. Your visa was really quick. Good to know it all seems straight forward. I'm just applying for my children's citizenship by descent at the moment, then will get all our oz passports early next year. We are hoping to go august 2018 after my eldest has done his GCSEs. I thinking we will apply for my partners visa in July 17 . That way we can all go together. As I understand it we have to activate his visa within 12 months of his medical/police check. Hope it all runs as smoothly for us as yours did. Good luck with your move.

Archived