Health insurance Question

ali2016

Hello all,

I was on a 457 and now I am on a bridging visa, pending my transition PR 186 application being approved.

I was told by HCF when I got my 457 I couldn't get full health insurance until I was PR.

However I've seen this thing about needed health insurance if you are over 31 years and if you dont get it you will insure a life time health cover loading. Im 32 next month.

What do I do?

Thanks!

Iirc that only kicks in when you have PR. So you would have a year from gaining PR to take up private cover to avoid the lifetime loading penalty.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been stung for an extra 34% on the policy for my family. I was on a 457 from 2012 until 2014 with a reciprocal agreement. We had private health which I just found out didn't include hospital cover, everything else except hospital cover. Just went to upgrade so we are covered and have been told that where I didn't obtain hospital cover in the twelve months after I was registered for Medicare I will have to pay the Lifetime Health Cover loading of 2% for every year over 31 years of age even though I've only been in the country for 4 years. I'm 46 and my partner is 49 so it averages out at an extra 34%. Quite a whack when you add it all up.

Just another way for the government to get money from you.....