Pickfords Removals Video Survey

Tedster

Hi all,

We are beginning the process of getting removal quotes to move from Somerset to Queensland. I've just heard back from Pickfords and they have said that for our area they do a "video survey". I have booked an appointment and apparently they will phone me on my mobile at the appointed time and I go around the house with my phone pointing out the furniture and items which we want to ship while they speak to me, but I may not be able to see them.

I was expecting someone to turn up in person to do the survey to actually look at the access to the property and for me to be able to ask questions.

I'm concerned that this isn't going to be a very accurate quote if they aren't going to come to the house and look at everything in person.

Has anyone else done it this way?

Hi all,

We are beginning the process of getting removal quotes to move from Somerset to Queensland. I've just heard back from Pickfords and they have said that for our area they do a "video survey". I have booked an appointment and apparently they will phone me on my mobile at the appointed time and I go around the house with my phone pointing out the furniture and items which we want to ship while they speak to me, but I may not be able to see them.

I was expecting someone to turn up in person to do the survey to actually look at the access to the property and for me to be able to ask questions.

I'm concerned that this isn't going to be a very accurate quote if they aren't going to come to the house and look at everything in person.

Has anyone else done it this way?

Hi Tedster,

I work for Bournes and we offer this service too so hopefully I can give you a bit more info to reassure you...

Most of the time we arrange in home surveys BUT on occasions where a customer prefers to do a video survey or where we can't do in home then it's a great way to still be able to help our customers. For example if you've got limited availability and we can't find an appointment to suit, or if you need an out of working hours survey, if you're in a hurry and we don't have anyone free to come to your home quick enough or actually some people just prefer it to having someone visit them in person - so usually it's driven on customer requirements/preference providing their phone/internet connection will support it, and we typically would offer a choice of options.

When we do the surveys by video they are really easy, and i'm assuming the same goes for Pickfords. The surveyor will talk you through how to connect and then when you get connected it's just like 'face time' if you've used that before. If Pickfords operate like us they will look at everything they would if they visited in person, ask you to open up cupboards or maybe give a few measurements if it's not clear. We normally also ask during the survey for you to show us access too so we can see about parking and how far it is to the door/any tricky areas etc. In terms of accuracy I believe that this method of surveying has not proved to be any less accurate than a physical survey, providing the person you're on the call with 'directs' you well to make sure they see everything they need to.

If they don't ask, don't forget to point out any items of high value or that you're particularly concerned about and might want special handling/extra care wrapping. Make sure to open up any cupboards to show them and point out any less obvious storage space and to cover anything outside (garden, shed, garage etc.) and the anything in the loft.

Hope that helps!

Hi Kirsty,

Thank you for your help.

We're not sure whether to go ahead with the video survey as we'd prefer someone to do it in person, but we weren't offered that option for some reason. Thank you for explaining how it all works, though - we're going to think about it and decide in a couple of days.

It may well be they don't have a local office in the area from which to send someone out. I know this was the case with one or two companies we contacted. We were living in Bristol and the closest office to us was Liverpool. So we had to book for a visit weeks ahead. Others that had offices closer was fine with less notice.

As has been said, if you are having other quotes done, why not get theirs also and see how they stack up.

Thank you all for your replies. We're going to go ahead and do the Pickfords video survey and compare it with the others. John Mason have also offered a video survey via phone too. I guess it's as you said and they don't have offices that are close to Somerset.