Two weeks until Melbourne best places to live

Buyer71

Hi,

I arrive in Melbourne for my new job in two weeks time and have found furnished accomodation in Flemington for the first 10 weeks which is ideal for work in Parkville. Looking further forward I am needing to consider which suburbs I should base myself in after the furniture arrives and before the family joins me.

Therefore I am ideally looking for a clean three bed place (or larger two bed) up to about 400 a week if possible that is close to public transport and would be up to 45 mins from parkville.

Also I would ideally like to know a suburb that would be family friendly and potentially an area for us to consider buying in which would be in the region of 800 - 1m budget for a four bed home with the same public transport requirements. We would if possible like to have one car as the parking where I would be working is very expensive

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I arrive in Melbourne for my new job in two weeks time and have found furnished accomodation in Flemington for the first 10 weeks which is ideal for work in Parkville. Looking further forward I am needing to consider which suburbs I should base myself in after the furniture arrives and before the family joins me.

Therefore I am ideally looking for a clean three bed place (or larger two bed) up to about 400 a week if possible that is close to public transport and would be up to 45 mins from parkville.

Also I would ideally like to know a suburb that would be family friendly and potentially an area for us to consider buying in which would be in the region of 800 - 1m budget for a four bed home with the same public transport requirements. We would if possible like to have one car as the parking where I would be working is very expensive

Gareth

Hiya Gareth,

How exciting! And you arriving earlier will give you plenty of time to search for suburbs. I'm also going to be working in Parkville, arriving July/August time but I will be arriving with the entire family (husband and 2 kids, aged 6 & 9). We'll be renting until/if we eventually get PR. I was in Melbourne in December and have done some research on suburbs and schools. We also want to start with 1 car and I'm hoping to cycle/tram/train it to work. I'm looking at Moonee Ponds, Essendon and Yarraville. Good schools and transport links but if you don't mind a longer commute you'll have more options. Coburg (on tram line), Pascoe Vale also places to consider. Also I've been told Ivanhoe, Kew, Alphington and Hawthorn are good suburbs but I'm not too sure on commutes to work from there - but you can check it out on the PTV transport journey planner. https://ptv.vic.gov.au/journey

Anyway, good luck - let me know how you get on. I'd be interested in your views of areas before I arrive!

The budget may be your problem living in any of the areas mentioned. Three bedrooms comes at a price. My daughter lives in Brunswick in a small two bedroom workers cottage, cannot swing a cat and they pay over $500 a week for it. Anywere that is close to transport links and easy to commute is more expensive than if you live further from the hubs. This goes for both inner and outer Melbourne. Four hundred gets you a three bed house where I live which is 70 km from Melbourne.

Of course there are cheaper properties but generally if you want something decent you will have to pay for it. Older houses are not insulated, centrally heated or air conditioned and can be quite uncomfortable in winter and summer. To get the amenities once again cash is the answer.