Keeping Australian bank accounts and credit card after departing Australia?

gilesm89

I asked about this in another post but cannot now find it so I'm going to be annoying and ask again..sorry.

I'm leaving Australia (temp working visa will be cancelled in due course) and was wondering about Australian bank accounts (including savings accounts) and credit cards.

Can these be kept open without any issues? Do I tell the bank that I am moving overseas or will they want to close my accounts.

My primary reasons to want to keep them open is for transfer of super refund once available and to wait until the interest rate picks up a bit before transferring savings back to GBP. Also, my credit card is very good for overseas use and I plan on doing some travelling before settling in the UK.

Thanks

I kept my aussie bank account current for eight years whilst i was overseas, i just changed the postal address to my parents in australia.

We have kept our uk accounts current for the last seven years by changing the address to the PIL in west yorks.

I can do anything on line anyway, so no worries about keeping money moving around a bit, it ensures the accounts dont become inactive.

Do you have any family or friends (you can trust, although it wont have much in it) here you can change your address to?

We've kept our bank account open - quite possibly superflous now but it costs nothing - and we kept our UK credit cards all the while we were in Australia (5 years)

I suspect the bank could close it as a dormant account at some point but if not it will be sueful to get my super paid in.

We are citizens though so not sure if that makes any difference, the only think to be aware of is tax implications if you earn interest in Australia, not sure what the process is for claiming the tax back as a non-resident. We've got a zero balance on ours so it's not relevant.

Archived