573 to 457 should I stay or should I go?

Robert Brunning

Hi everyone,

I have recently finished my masters study in Sydney on a 573 visa. Last week I was offered a new job with an employer willing to sponsor my stay in Australia on a 457 visa.

My new employers are currently at stage 1 of the visa application process. However, my student visa will expire on the 30th June 2016 leaving me just over a month left to stay within Australia.

Would my best option to be return to the UK and continue my visa application? Or could I apply for a bridging visa to allow me to stay in the country until a decision is made on my application? Also, would I be able to work on a bridging visa?

I am hoping to return back to the UK to attend two weddings at the start of June, so I am not sure if I should stay in the UK until my 457 visa is hopefully granted or come back to Sydney to wait it out. Are there any disadvantages to applying offshore?

Hi everyone,

I have recently finished my masters study in Sydney on a 573 visa. Last week I was offered a new job with an employer willing to sponsor my stay in Australia on a 457 visa.

My new employers are currently at stage 1 of the visa application process. However, my student visa will expire on the 30th June 2016 leaving me just over a month left to stay within Australia.

Would my best option to be return to the UK and continue my visa application? Or could I apply for a bridging visa to allow me to stay in the country until a decision is made on my application? Also, would I be able to work on a bridging visa?

I am hoping to return back to the UK to attend two weddings at the start of June, so I am not sure if I should stay in the UK until my 457 visa is hopefully granted or come back to Sydney to wait it out. Are there any disadvantages to applying offshore?

You cannot apply for a bridging visa as a stand alone application. If you put the 457 visa in before your current visa applies, the bridging visa is automatic as part of that. It often has same rights as the visa you are previously on, the student visa in this case.

If you are going to UK anyway then you may prefer to wait it out, it is up to you really, neither way seems better or worse to me. You would have to request a bridging visa B if you want to come back before the 457 grant.

Archived