Australian Citizenship whilst in UK

Alijane

Hi everyone.

I am hoping to find some answers on behalf of my friend. They have lived here in OZ for 10 years and both her and her partner have PR. They are moving back to the UK in a few months due to family/personal reasons. She told me she wasn't going to get her citizenship but I strongly advised she should in case she changes her mind down the track, (i mean, it's so easy once being a PR for 10 years, why waste it right?).

Anyway, she seems to think the process will take a few months and they therefore will have moved back to the UK by the time the interview and ceremony is due. So my question is; Can she apply now and attend a ceremony in the UK? Like at the Oz embassy or something?? It sounds like a stupid question, but they can't hang around in OZ and I feel she is really wasting an opportunity to get an aussie passport (which many people can only dream about!).

Hi everyone.

I am hoping to find some answers on behalf of my friend. They have lived here in OZ for 10 years and both her and her partner have PR. They are moving back to the UK in a few months due to family/personal reasons. She told me she wasn't going to get her citizenship but I strongly advised she should in case she changes her mind down the track, (i mean, it's so easy once being a PR for 10 years, why waste it right?).

Anyway, she seems to think the process will take a few months and they therefore will have moved back to the UK by the time the interview and ceremony is due. So my question is; Can she apply now and attend a ceremony in the UK? Like at the Oz embassy or something?? It sounds like a stupid question, but they can't hang around in OZ and I feel she is really wasting an opportunity to get an aussie passport (which many people can only dream about!).

Not a stupid question at all.

Citizenship is something your friend should sort before she leaves.

An Oz embassy can process 'citizenship by descent' applicants for those living overseas who have a right to Australian Citizenship, but it would be inappropriate to confer citizenship on those who have no intention of living in Australia or maintaining strong connections with Australia.

Eligibility requirements include:

• a permanent resident

• likely to reside, or continue to reside, in Australia or to maintain close and continuing association with Australia or

• of good character.

Im after similar advice. We are looking at returning to uk, we are on a pr visa been here 3yrs, love australia but the usual reason looking at returning to uk, does this mean we will no longer be residents of oz, cause im sure ive read somewhere when our five yrs are up we can apply for an extension to carry on out visa eventhou living in uk, but this would gives us the chance then to return to oz if possible in the future or does it mean once we leave we leave for good it ends our visa.

You have a Permanent visa which gives you PR status. Your visa allows you to stay in Australia indefinitely and go offshore and return to Australia as many times as you like (subject to ongoing satisfaction of character requirements) until 5 years (depending on your visa subclass) have elapsed from when the permanent visa first came into effect. You are not eligible to renter Australia after the five years unless you hold another visa, usually a Resident Return Visa.

To be granted a RRV you need to apply (onshore or offshore) and meet eligibility requirements including having lived in Australia for 2 years (730 days total) during the preceding 5 years. Depending on the degree of connection with Australia you may be granted a 5 year, 1 year or shorter RRV. The RRV visa allows you to stay in stay in Australia indefinitely or to go offshore and return until the RRV expires. The application fee for an RRV is currently $360. Therefore based on your 3 years of residence it is likely you would be granted a 5 year RRV.

If you live in Australia (lawfully) for four years (with at least the most recent 12 months as a PR) you are eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship. Citizenship in turn allows you to apply for an Australian Passport and with that you can leave and return as you wish indefinitely (as long as your passport remains current and is not canceled due to character/security issues). You are close to meeting the four year qualifying period and hence depending on when you go offshore, and the reasons for you leaving, and whether you absence is temporary or permanent, you may need to seek advice as to whether you may be eligible for Australian citizenship in the future.

At the very least if you apply for and are granted RRV's you have the option of returning to Aus for some years into the future.

Archived