What's it like?

Jarp

Hi everyone,

Missus and me are considering moving down under, she's an Aussie so I'm allowed to apply for my 301. Now here I'm self employed since I was 20, in various branches (latest being telecommunications &I IT). Young, never bothered with uni-did my own learning and got my certs when needed.

Now I've never been someone to be scared from markets, but realistically I'm not gonna dive in head first and start a new business within the first few years. And reading the first 50 or so pages, I can't say that the job market looks that stellar.

What I can't figure out is:

- what's the general sentiment on hiring ex-entrepreneurs? (Here in Holland it's a bit of a no-go area because we tend to be too stubborn)

- what's the sentiment on papers vs experience?

I'm sure it's a hard one to answer in general terms, but considering a move isn't exactly free and The Aussies managed to revive Ned Kelly and install him in the visa department to rob you an small 7k, I'd take all the info I can get.

thanks in advance!

You will need to research heavily and it will be very dependent on where you live - each state is different and there can be large differences even within a state. For example IT based businesses tend to be based in Sydney or Melbourne and can flourish. While some states would not be such as great idea.

You will also need to check out the legal requirements

For example, anything electrical may require licensing. Obtaining an electrical license isn't as simple as just getting a ticket. Even a qualified UK electrician would need a year and some college courses.

Also, a lot of tickets obtained outside Australia are not valid in Australia, so, unless you have some particular skill and relevant qualifications, it might be a struggle as you will essentially be a totally unqualified person up against a lot of local unskilled people and one of the big things employers ask for is "Australian experience".

Archived