Employer sponsorship vs Partner Visa

Scottish8

Hey guys! This will be my first post in this forum, and as a newbie I am heartened to see such a community where help is always around the corner.

I am actually from Singapore and got a post study work visa (485) granted in 2015 March. It will expire in March 2017. I have been with my partner since November 2014 and there were plans for her to sponsor me so i could live with her here in Australia. I gave up a career in Singapore to stay with her here, but unfortunately things aren't going so great between us. We could potentially be breaking up, after being in a relationship for 1 year and 5 months.

My first question is, could i still potentially get a partner visa based on my scenario if we do break up? I remember reading somewhere that a visa might still be granted if i stayed put here for a bit prior to the break up.

My second question pertains employer sponsorship. I currently work within the Youth Services at a non-profit community organisation. While it is not on the skilled occupations list, can my employer help my case to get a visa? I have heard of people getting visas (primary school teachers, designers) whose occupations are not necessarily on the skilled occupations list.

Thanks for reading through my chunk of text. I tried to be as precise as i can. Thanks for your help guys!

No you cannot get a partner visa if you break up. Partner visas are for partners. Even when the visa is granted, it is often a temporary visa for two years and does not convert to a permanent one unless the relationship is still ongoing.

For an employer sponsored visa, the job needs to be on the lists. Check all the lists not just the SOL, the CSOL is very extensive. Primary teacher is on the list so that explains why you have seen people being sponsored.

There is no way you could consider a partner visa. Each of you have to submit stat declarations concerning your relationship. If you are breaking up this would be fraud. As Bungo says you would only get the temporary 309 visa at best anyway so you would have to stay together for the next 3-4 years essentially to become permanent. Ask yourself how likely this would be.

Archived