How long to add new wife to 457 visa?

Needtoknow

Hi. We are waiting for a 457 visa, but I had to apply just for myself and leave my girlfriend off at the time (4 weeks ago) as we are not married until July this year and had no evidence of living together. So, as we are getting married in Australia, (all my partner's family live there) we would have been going on holiday to get married anyway. My wife to be will therefore be on a tourist visa and I will hopefully, by then, have my 457 visa granted.

The employer were very understanding and suggested they would wait to lodge the application in July, but they said it would be pushing it time wise for me to start work. So we decided to apply for me then add her in July when we are married.

My question is, what are the processing times likely to be? Will it be likely that we'll get her added onto the visa before the 3 month period is up, If not, what will we do?

Thanks in advance for any greatly appreciated advice!

Hi. We are waiting for a 457 visa, but I had to apply just for myself and leave my girlfriend off at the time (4 weeks ago) as we are not married until July this year and had no evidence of living together. So, as we are getting married in Australia, (all my partner's family live there) we would have been going on holiday to get married anyway. My wife to be will therefore be on a tourist visa and I will hopefully, by then, have my 457 visa granted.

The employer were very understanding and suggested they would wait to lodge the application in July, but they said it would be pushing it time wise for me to start work. So we decided to apply for me then add her in July when we are married.

My question is, what are the processing times likely to be? Will it be likely that we'll get her added onto the visa before the 3 month period is up, If not, what will we do?

Thanks in advance for any greatly appreciated advice!

You may be wise to discuss your visa strategy with a professional to avoid any possible pratfalls such as a "no further stay" condition on the visitor visa. If a valid application can be made on shore, the processing time would be irrelevant as a bridging visa would be granted to allow her to remain during processing.

Thanks. Do you know how I will find out what conditions will be on the visitor visa? I thought the visitor visa is only for 3 months anyway?

You may be wise to discuss your visa strategy with a professional to avoid any possible pratfalls such as a "no further stay" condition on the visitor visa. If a valid application can be made on shore, the processing time would be irrelevant as a bridging visa would be granted to allow her to remain during processing.

Thanks. The company have agreed to add her in July, but worried something may put a spanner in the works as we have found out that nothing is easy.

I waited 2 months before my 457 dependent visa was approved. You may be entitled to a bridging visa upon application. I would get a migration agent to confirm that though. I personally applied offshore due to prior visa conditions.

Archived