Apply now or wait until 1st July and AITSL Skills Assessment?...

ab4122

Hi,

We have had an initial assessment from a migration agent who says that my wife will receive enough points to qualify for a visa so we have now collated the information needed to get her skills assessed by AITSL, however the migration agent has now informed us that the various state nominations and other list change on 1st July each year so it may be worth hanging on before proceeding any further.

We were considering going ahead with the AITSL skills assessment as it will take 10 weeks and that will fall a week or two before the 1st July date mentioned so if teachers are still on the list we would be ready to proceed however we get the impression that the job market is flooded with teachers so are they likely to be removed form the lists? (I know I'm asking crystal ball type question...) and would we risk throwing £350ish down the drain for the assessment, (I know it is valid for two years if we get a successful assessment).

Secondly - our migration agent advised us that my wife should get assessed as a middle school teacher, (she did a science degree and then PGCE which was based around the UK middle school system which has now been phased out here), however the ages she has taught are between 7 and 13. According to the AITSL website:

"It is important to select the ANZSCO that is relevant to your teaching qualification.

AITSL will assess the initial teacher education qualification only against the requirements of the occupation nominated.

As a guide, in Australia, Early Childhood (pre-primary school) teachers teach children aged 3 to 8 years of age. Primary school teachers teach children aged 5 or 6 to 12 years of age. Middle school teachers teach children 10 to 15 years of age. Secondary school teachers teach children aged 13 to 18 years of age.

AITSL assesses one occupation only per application.

AITSL is not able to advise you on which nominated occupation to select. For further information refer to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI) website"

Based on this short statement it would seem she would be more suited to being assessed for Primary school as although she hasn't taught 5-6 years olds she would have covered a broader range, (7 - 12 year olds), compared to the Australian middle school system where she would have only taught 10 - 13 years olds and no experience of 14 - 15 year olds.

Thanks in advance for any help, information or advice that can be given

Guest The Pom Queen

It is a really hard question and I'm sure your agent will have more experience than us. If there was a way of submitting my application before any changes in July that is what I'd personally want to do.

I think it is up to you whether you want to wait or pay for the skills assessment anyway - there is no right or wrong answer to that, just a preference. My comment would be that the lists bear little resemblance to the job situation anyway and every year there are rumours that certain occupations will be taken off but they never are.

I would not be going for primary teacher assessment if you can get secondary though. It is just a skils assessment, you can work in whatever occupation you want. But secondary is currently on the SOL whereas primary is only on the CSOL so relies upon additional sponsorship. If you believe she can pass both skills assessments, then secondary is probably the better option.

I'd go for it now and try and get in before the 1st of July, apparently secondary is a flagged occupation which might be why you were advised to go for middle. I decided to go for SEN rather than secondary. I'm on my tenth week and still not heard anything from AITSL.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived