Australian Citizenship application and Criminal Conviction

way3

Hi,

I have applied for Citizenship application and worried about the following conviction on police clearance certificate

Speeding Offence: fined $300, 3 Demerits , speeding over between 20-29KM, 2.5 Years ago (not conviction, just speeding fine)

Common Assault Conviction: Penalties: $150, 6 months conditional release order (completed last year). SPENT CONVICTION WAS GRANTED BY COURT.

Officer at citizenship office told me decision will be made by higher office.

Worried, i made a stupid mistake, totally out of my character and one-off thing. all happened in heated argument with my wife where i pushed her away and police was called.

WONDERING, if this will cause issues to my citizenship application?

Guest The Pom Queen

@way3 the speeding one, I didn't even realise they showed up on a police check?

In regards to the assault how long ago was that?

Hopefully @Raul Senise may be able to advise but I don't think even he would have a crystal ball

@way3 the speeding one, I didn't even realise they showed up on a police check?

Strange, but i have one speeding fine showing on police clearance. i call AFP, they told me if the police clearance is for immigration purpose. they have to disclose all speeding fines and conviction.

In regards to the assault how long ago was that?

that was in May 2015, release order finished in NOV 2015. Spent Conviction was granted at the time of judgement in first hearing itself as i plead guilty.

Hi,

I have applied for Citizenship application and worried about the following conviction on police clearance certificate

Speeding Offence: fined $300, 3 Demerits , speeding over between 20-29KM, 2.5 Years ago (not conviction, just speeding fine)

Common Assault Conviction: Penalties: $150, 6 months conditional release order (completed last year). SPENT CONVICTION WAS GRANTED BY COURT.

Officer at citizenship office told me decision will be made by higher office.

Worried, i made a stupid mistake, totally out of my character and one-off thing. all happened in heated argument with my wife where i pushed her away and police was called.

WONDERING, if this will cause issues to my citizenship application?

Immigration is getting quite strict with Citizenship applications and I have had a few people come to see me with quite harsh decisions when criminal history is involved.

You will most likely be asked for further information about the convictions and given an opportunity to explain why Citizenship should be granted.

Thanks Raul,

wondering,conviction which is already been spent help?

You need to meet the "Good Character" criteria for Citizenship.

In regards to Citizenship the term “good character” is not defined in the Act.

It is up to the case officer to determine if you are of good Character and they are guided by Policy.

A such it is quite subjective and therefore it is important to provide information which supports that you are of good character in spite of the convictions.

Not a simple issue and as such there is no one size fits all response.

Immigration is getting quite strict with Citizenship applications and I have had a few people come to see me with quite harsh decisions when criminal history is involved.

You will most likely be asked for further information about the convictions and given an opportunity to explain why Citizenship should be granted.

I'm bit scared, i've lost my 7 demerits points. does this affect on my citizenship application?

Archived