Moving and notifying HRMC in the UK

Buyer71

Hi,

is is anyone able to advise on when I need to formally change residency from the UK to Australia. I am due to move in mid-June and our house will still be going through the sale process at this stage. Therefore I would appreciate knowing whether my residency for tax reasons ends when I enter Australia (in short accomodation and employment) or if It is delayed until after my uk home (primary residence) is sold and equity is in cash?

On the same theme Would I need to complete a tax return in Australia for the two weeks in June when I would have worked in this tax year?

For the tax return question - yes you would. I started work on 9 June and had to do one. You can do it yourself online, or someone like H&R Block can complete and submit on your behalf, and you can claim their fee back against your next tax return.

I wrote to the HMRC to tell them I'd left the country, which they must have received because I got some letters (at my australian address) the following year stating that I'd not completed a tax return so would be fined, and then followed lots of letters for increasing fines. I wrote again and explained the situation, they agreed and cancelled all the fines. I think this was a mistake somewhere, but normally a simple letter should be fine.

Archived