Electrician 341111 - License to work in WA?

kazb67

We've just started out researching what my OH needs to do to gain his license to work as a fully qualified spark in WA. Hahahaha was prob naive of us to think that once his skills had been assessed for our visa that he could gain a license fairly easily once we come over.

Theres so much info on forums dating back over a few years varying slightly in advice & I've been looking over some official sites about courses they offer but I'm getting a wee bity bamboozled by it. I'm trying to simplify the process in my head.

Can you please let me know if this is right or advise us on any the questions? Apologies in advance if I'm trying to simplify this too much. I'm just trying to understand the process. I'm not familiar with all the acronyms & initialisms yet so think that's not helping & confusing me further :wacko:. Also if it's a lengthy process & he won't be earning we need to save more here to see us through.

1) Have skills assessed in Aus to allow him to work (Is this the White Card?)

2) Go to college to learn Aus regs etc (Is this a classroom based course set out over a period of time or something he can rattle through in evenings/weekends & try to complete ASAP)

3) Work as an assistant to a fully licensed spark for 1yr. (The answer to my 2nd question will determine the answer to this.....can he study as well as working as an assistant? Is it necessary to work as an assistant for 1yr or can he be signed off earlier if he can demonstrate everything required?)

4) Apply for his own license

Thanks

White card is equivalent to a cscs card just allows you on site nothing else.. When you get your skills assessed in the uk he will be issued with an OTSR ( offshore technical skills record ) that entitles him to a provisional license when you finally arrive in Australia.. Then as you mention WA require 1 year gap training followed by a capstone exam ( regs course ) I'm not sure if you can rush the gap training to be honest be interesting to find out

Thanks bobbie2016. So he does gap training 1st then sits regs course

Also I read on another forum that SA doesn't require the gap training, just the regs course. You can then apply for license & transfer it to WA. Seems like a massive loophole but not seen too many other people mentioning this so not sure if it's right or not?

Archived