Ashes

M1cha3la

Ok, it's possible this will be the most random and moribid question I'll ask. Can you ship pet ashes?

I lost Toby last year and have him in a little box on my dresser. I really dont want to leave him as I am not quite ready (yes I know I should, dh reminds me everyday :twitcy:)

I have 4 shipping companies coming in later in the month to quote, so can ask them, but thought I would embarrass myself here amongst friends first :embarrassed: Save scaring the poor shipping agent :laugh:

I don't know about shipping, but when travelling with cremated remains you need to have them with you as hand luggage and not check in. It's also useful to have documents but I've travelled twice with ashes and staff have been discreet and sensitive and not asked to see anything.

It won't be uncommon, so please don't feel embarrassed about asking shippers, but if unaccompanied then you will probably have to declare on a form.

Yes you can. Ensure the casket they are in is sealed and treated timber etc plus get written confirmation from your vet to the content. My wife bought 4x cat caskets in wood over in hand luggage without any major issues, we were told hand luggage is easier than shipping. Customs will simply look them over, check the paperwork and wave you through.

S

I brought my dogs ashes over in my hand luggage. Letter from vets detailing contents. Also the bills for the cremations. Aus customs were more concerned the wood boxes used for keeping the ashes in was treated wood.

I'd never have shipped them in a container.

That is such a relief, thank you for the info guys. I would definitely keep him with me in hand luggage. I just figured the shipping agents would know about about customs/regulations and if I would be allowed to take him. I googled and came up with nothing, so thought maybe my hubby was right that I am being a bit crazy wanting to take him. I am so glad I asked here first. It is a sealed box and it is varnished or waxed, so I guess treated, I will contact the vets to confirm.

Thank you xx

I'd not expect the vet can't confirm if the box is treated wood. Usually them come back from the crematorium already boxed. If its varnished it should be fine. I have one varnished, one stained and both were fine for customs when they looked at them. I did declare them on the landing card also so knew they would be checked.

Archived