Contributory parent visa

grahamandtracey

We would like to join our daughter and her partner in Brisbane on a contributory parent visa.i am 53 and the wife is 51 years old , our daughter has been living in Brisbane for 41/2 years and has just received her resident visa my Question is ... does she have to have been a resident for a certain amount of time before we can apply for the CPV and if so is the 41/2 years she was on the 457 visa taken in to account Thanks graham and tracey

Hello Graham and Tracey.

A sponsor of parents under the parent visa program must be "settled".

"Settled" means lawfully resident in Australia for a "reasonable period."

Under DIBP policy, a "reasonable period" is at least 2 years. Periods of lawful temporary residence may be counted towards the settled requirement, depending on the circumstances of that temporary residence.

The settled requirement is assessed at the time the visa application is lodged.

In short, from what you have said, I think your daughter is settled in Australia.

Do you also meet the balance of family requirements? https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Pare/balance-of-family-test and http://www.gm-parent-visas.com/parent-visa-applications-the-balance-of-family-test-whos-in-and-whos-out/ ?

Best regards.

hi Alan thank you for the reply, my daughter has only just been granted her residence visa this month she was named on her boyfriends 457 sponsored working visa does this still count, .? also thankyou for the link regarding family test ,yep just looked at it and looks like we qualifie as only have 2 children one of 23 years old living in the uk and one in australia 25 years old.... best regards graham and Tracey

Hi Graham and Tracey

Your daughter has to have been resident for a minimum of two years, not sure if that on any visa. Or she can sponsor you if she has a permanent resident visa. Dont take my word for it though, double check I'm right. If you google 143 parent visa you'll get a link to thee Australian immigration site where all this information is available. Also, look on the parents thread on this site ... Loads of info and you'll get answers to most questions fairly quickly, from other parents. Good luck!

hi Alan thank you for the reply, my daughter has only just been granted her residence visa this month she was named on her boyfriends 457 sponsored working visa does this still count, .? also thankyou for the link regarding family test ,yep just looked at it and looks like we qualifie as only have 2 children one of 23 years old living in the uk and one in australia 25 years old.... best regards graham and Tracey

Yes, being a secondary visa holder (rather than being the primary applicant) is fine for the purpose of the 2 year settled requirement.

I'm assuming she is now the holder of a permanent residency visa? Your original post indicates this is the case.

If you would like me to call you to discuss please send an email or PM to me (click on my name to the left of this post).

Best regards.

Archived