Working Holiday (417) Expiry

Paul Robinson

Hi

Hopefully a simple question.

If you don't use a Working Holiday visa (not entering the country within the 12 months) and the Visa expires, does that still count as your first 417 Visa or can you re-apply for a first Working Holiday Visa at a later date ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Yep. Pretty sure thats the case. As long as you still meet all of the criteria. I've just done the same after applying for one 4-5 years ago and then changing my mind and going off to uni.

I haven't had my latest application returned yet but I'll let you know when I do.

Good luck! :D

Yep. Pretty sure thats the case. As long as you still meet all of the criteria. I've just done the same after applying for one 4-5 years ago and then changing my mind and going off to uni.

I haven't had my latest application returned yet but I'll let you know when I do.

Good luck! :D

That would be great to know. It would put my sons mind at ease (as this is for him).

Good luck with your latest application.

Just for your info, we filled out his application online, had me as an authorised person (living in Melbourne) and got a Grant Notification back within 15 minutes.

That would be great to know. It would put my sons mind at ease (as this is for him).

Good luck with your latest application.

Just for your info, we filled out his application online, had me as an authorised person (living in Melbourne) and got a Grant Notification back within 15 minutes.

What do you mean by an Authorised person? Wouldn't he be applying independently?

That's cool to know. Mine might take a while. I've heard if you re-apply, they look at your application more closely. I also declared that I intend to work in healthcare/hospital settings, so I might be asked to go for a medical.

What do you mean by an Authorised person? Wouldn't he be applying independently?

That's cool to know. Mine might take a while. I've heard if you re-apply, they look at your application more closely. I also declared that I intend to work in healthcare/hospital settings, so I might be asked to go for a medical.

By Authrised person, I mean, there is a section in the application that asks if you want to allow someone else to get the correspondence instead of you, usually an Agent, but as his dad and I did my own PR visa, he listed me instead.

I can see the logic in looking more closely if you re-apply, but in reality to them, its simply more revenue. I can also see that you may need the medical if you said you will work in the Medical area. We simply put 'Other' as we have no idea yet.

I dont think it matters what you put compared to what work you end up doing as the Grant letter doesn't have any 'industry' restrictions on it.

By Authrised person, I mean, there is a section in the application that asks if you want to allow someone else to get the correspondence instead of you, usually an Agent, but as his dad and I did my own PR visa, he listed me instead.

I can see the logic in looking more closely if you re-apply, but in reality to them, its simply more revenue. I can also see that you may need the medical if you said you will work in the Medical area. We simply put 'Other' as we have no idea yet.

I dont think it matters what you put compared to what work you end up doing as the Grant letter doesn't have any 'industry' restrictions on it.

Aaah, yeah I did see that section. Yeah, was just being dimb.

Yeah, you're probably right, but I thought I better be honest with them. Figured I better put it on there because I do intend to work in that field.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

[h=4]When the 12-month stay period on your Working Holiday visa starts[/h]If you are offshore, the 12-month stay period on your Working Holiday visa will start when you enter Australia. This period will start even if you enter Australia:

• as a transit passenger
  • on an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)
  • on a Crew Travel Authority (CTA)
  • on a Maritime Crew Visa (MCV).

Once the stay period on your Working Holiday visa starts, it cannot be delayed or deferred.

If you hold a Working Holiday visa on which the stay period has not started and want to enter Australia on another visa, you should:

• ask us to cancel your Working Holiday visa before you travel to Australia (you might be eligible to reapply for another Working Holiday visa at a later stage)
  • after you have confirmation that your Working Holiday visa has been cancelled, apply for another visa.

This will allow you to avoid accidentally using your Working Holiday visa.

To cancel your Working Holiday visa, contact us through the:

If you want to cancel your Working Holiday visa to claim superannuation, refer toAccessing superannuation benefits—Former temporary residents.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

When the 12-month stay period on your Working Holiday visa starts

If you are offshore, the 12-month stay period on your Working Holiday visa will start when you enter Australia. This period will start even if you enter Australia:

• as a transit passenger

• on an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

• on a Crew Travel Authority (CTA)

• on a Maritime Crew Visa (MCV).

Once the stay period on your Working Holiday visa starts, it cannot be delayed or deferred.

If you hold a Working Holiday visa on which the stay period has not started and want to enter Australia on another visa, you should:

• ask us to cancel your Working Holiday visa before you travel to Australia (you might be eligible to reapply for another Working Holiday visa at a later stage)

• after you have confirmation that your Working Holiday visa has been cancelled, apply for another visa.

This will allow you to avoid accidentally using your Working Holiday visa.

To cancel your Working Holiday visa, contact us through the:

If you want to cancel your Working Holiday visa to claim superannuation, refer toAccessing superannuation benefits—Former temporary residents.

Hi

Thanks for this info, I know the 12 months of the visa starts the from the day they enter the country. This question is more about if they never enter the country. When you get a Grant on the visa you have 12 months to enter the country before your actual 12 months start.

Hi

Thanks for this info, I know the 12 months of the visa starts the from the day they enter the country. This question is more about if they never enter the country. When you get a Grant on the visa you have 12 months to enter the country before your actual 12 months start.

That is pretty much answered in the copy and paste above :) If he does not use it, I'd ensure its cancelled properly so another one can be applied for at a later date.

That is pretty much answered in the copy and paste above :) If he does not use it, I'd ensure its cancelled properly so another one can be applied for at a later date.

Ah yes, I missed that bit.

Many thanks

HDR my visa grant letter this morning. Yay!!

So, no problem, if you didn't enter Australia within the 12 months from the date of the first grant, you are essentially still classed as applying for your first visa. Because you never entered Australia on a WHV. I let my first one expire and my new application took about a week to be granted.

i guess they checked it a bit more closely just to make sure I really hadn't entered on a WHV before, which I fully understand and appreciate. Good luck!