English test how hard to get 20 points?and how long before going with agent did u submit 4 visa

The Smith Clan

Can anyone advise who has taken this I am referring to IELTS test.

My situation is I lose 10 points next jan (due to age) taking me to 60 which includes 20 for English test, so if I fail to get full amount of points will fail to get enough for visa. We are looking at going to Oz in August to see if right for us and by then may be to late to submit for visa by then, as need to do skills assessment. So we have dilemma of going with agent now and paying costs and if we go aug and do not like it will lose agent fees.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Maria

My situation is I lose 10 points next jan (due to age) taking me to 60 which includes 20 for English test, so if I fail to get full amount of points will fail to get enough for visa. We are looking at going to Oz in August to see if right for us and by then may be to late to submit for visa by then, as need to do skills assessment. So we have dilemma of going with agent now and paying costs and if we go aug and do not like it will lose agent fees.

Maria

20 points is achievable, you just need to practice.

Why not just do the IELTS and your skills assessment right now? You don't need an agent for that.

You don't even need an agent anyway, IMO. But do IELTS + SA now, and you can decide that if/when you've pass IELTS + SA.

I never tried IELTS but PTE is computer based so as long as you are comfortable on a computer you should be ok.

I paid about $30 for the gold practice kit which gives a couple of mock tests to familiarise yourself with the format.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Maria

I am a native English speaker and was in a similar boat to you, with my 'superior' English I would get 60 points, which was a scrape for my visa. I did the testing thinking that I was English, what could go wrong?!?! I got 7.5,8,8.5,9, ie. not superior. The biggest thing for me was not knowing what to expect. It was extremely stupid of me to expect that I would just get it. I went home, re-booked (another £130) and this time, did many examples of listening (my biggest weakness), reading and writing. On repeat I got 8.5,8.5,8.5,9, superior :D So my advice is, practice, practice. Results don't take long, 2 weeks at the most, not enough to delay anything imho.

WRT agent, I used an agent as they needed to help me with an RPL and once I had done that, it was *only* another A$1600 for the rest of the visa which I thought was OK as I didn't want mistakes. My agent was awesome and did all the heavy lifting. The biggest thing an agent can offer is translating laws. Remember that your understanding of a requirement is not necessarily what Aussie immigration understands it as. My advice on agents is this, if you can afford one, do it. If you have a good agent, they take away a great deal of stress. If you don't have the money, you need to do a lot of reading to make sure you really understand what you are doing. Not tricky, just takes time, something you don't sound like you have a lot of.

Archived