186 Visa Eligibility

kate1985

Hi guys,

I have a question about whether my husband and I are eligible for the 186 Direct Entry Permanent residency sponsorship visa.

Here is a little background. I am currently living in Melbourne Australia. My husband is here on a student visa, studying for his Master’s degree. I am Canadian and he is Welsh. We know that we will be eligible for the post graduate working visa on completion of his course, but we are committed to staying in Australia long term. The quickest route to getting PR will be through myself as my husband’s occupation is no longer on the SOL list and he won’t have any experience in the job he will be qualified for.

I am a language teacher and my occupation is listed on the CSOL list (TEACHERS OF ENGLISH TO SPEAKERS OF OTHER LANGUAGES ANZCO 249311). I have spoken to my employer and they said they have successfully sponsored someone in the past under the 457 temporary sponsorship stream.

I have 3 years of experience in my current occupation, and meet the necessary requirements for a skills assessment through VETASSESS.

My questions are:

- Are we eligible to apply for this direct entry to PR, or whether our only option is to go through the 457 program? I have checked all the criteria on the .gov websites and it seems to be ok.

- Would it be my employer who would decide which visa to apply for or would they just submit the nomination and then I decide which stream to pursue?

Any information which you guys can help me out with would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, and happy migrating!

Kate

If your occupation is on the CSOL and you have 3 years relevant experience, receive a positive skills assessment and are under 50 years old, you're likely eligible for the 186 DE stream. You don't need to go through the 457 first, although many employers prefer this since a) it's quicker to be processed, and b) you can't work for anyone other than a sponsoring employer. But if you can get them to agree on the 186 DE, that's certainly better for you.

You would need to agree with your employer which visa to apply for, since your application and their nomination need to match both regarding the visa subclass (186 vs. 457) as well as the stream.

Thanks for your reply! Hopefully they can agree to the 186. We have a good working relationship and the benefit is they dont have to wait for my visa to be granted as i have working rights for a while due my husbands student visa.

I should be able to have the final documentstion (1 year of paid work) in may so will do the skill assessment then moat likely.

Thanks!

Archived