Should I get another master degree ?

unique5787

I am a visiting PHD student in Australia. I got my master and bachelor degree in accounting. I am going to graduate in this July,in principle. My husband and I are applying for the PR in Australia, and he is now a junior lecture in a university.

I am not a native-speaker of English, and my degrees are all from China. I am so confused about my career because seeking a job seems so difficult for me under such conditions. That is the reason why I decide to get a diploma in Australia. I think it will be better for me to step away from academic, so will not be in the universities or any other research institutions.

It seems that there will be a lot of financial benefits as a permanent residence if I apply for the research master course, but I am not sure if it will be useful for my future career. Anyway...I feel totally confused and pressured. :confused::confused:

Do you have any advices about it? 

Thanks very much and have a very nice day!

Research master course in accounting? What for? To be an accountant here you do not really need a master degree. Are you concerned about how another degree will help with getting the PR or just about your career? If it is about the career, I will not bother with another degree. May be, applying with CPA to get a professional designation will be of more use to you, or if you are eligible to work in Australia, get an accounting job. Getting a local experience, even as an accounting clerk or volunteer will give you more chances than a master degree, considering that you already have a master degree.

Actually, my husband are applying for PR through Nomination from a university of Australia. It means that I could be the dependent in his application ,right? I am considering to get another degree because I am not good enough in English and I don't want to turn into the hash competition of accounting, because so many overseas students are trying to get PR through this major. My main purpose is to find a job in Australia and find a way to get the chance of interviews. I am a quick learner and are willing to step out of my comfortable zone. Anyway, I am worried that the Chinese diplomas would be useless in finding a job in Australia.

Research master course in accounting? What for? To be an accountant here you do not really need a master degree. Are you concerned about how another degree will help with getting the PR or just about your career? If it is about the career, I will not bother with another degree. May be, applying with CPA to get a professional designation will be of more use to you, or if you are eligible to work in Australia, get an accounting job. Getting a local experience, even as an accounting clerk or volunteer will give you more chances than a master degree, considering that you already have a master degree.

Actually, my husband are applying for PR through Nomination from a university of Australia. It means that I could be the dependent in his application ,right? I am considering to get another degree because I am not good enough in English and I don't want to turn into the hash competition of accounting, because so many overseas students are trying to get PR through this major. My main purpose is to find a job in Australia and find a way to get the chance of interviews. I am a quick learner and are willing to step out of my comfortable zone. Anyway, I am worried that the Chinese diplomas would be useless in finding a job in Australia.

My advice would be to use the time to improve your English language skills and study for a professional accounting qualification. You can have as many degrees as you like but without your professional letters you will not be classed as a qualified accountant.

I would second the advice that you should obtain your CPA and try and get an entry level position in order to gain experience while you do so. The PR issue aside, additional masters degrees will do little for your career without relevant experience. In my opinion, unless you are looking to teach at a university, neither will a PHD.

I would be very unlikely to hire someone to work in my finance teams with a PHD/numerous Master's Degrees unless they had sufficient relevant experience.

My advice would be to use the time to improve your English language skills and study for a professional accounting qualification. You can have as many degrees as you like but without your professional letters you will not be classed as a qualified accountant.

I would second the advice that you should obtain your CPA and try and get an entry level position in order to gain experience while you do so. The PR issue aside, additional masters degrees will do little for your career without relevant experience. In my opinion, unless you are looking to teach at a university, neither will a PHD.

I would be very unlikely to hire someone to work in my finance teams with a PHD/numerous Master's Degrees unless they had sufficient relevant experience.

Thanks very much for your answer. I want to change my major, because after those years of study, I find that I not really interested in accounting. Do you have other recommendations for the majors which are related with accounting(Market, finance and so on. ) and would be rather helpful for finding working experiences.

Archived