Phoning Australia

kyliedonut

Hello there, had a quick search but no luck.

Wondering what your experiences are in phoning Australia from the UK - best mobile network prices, best deals in calling Australia?

I was recently charged over £70 for 30min call from UK mobile to Aussie mobile - eeeeek! Not great when trying to save the pennies!

I've heard that O2 do a "Calling Card" for £5 which allows 9p/minute calls to Aus mobiles. Anyone know of any better?

My dad only as a mobile phone so he buys a card from the local shop and says they are very good deals and can last a few months. Have a look around you and see if the shops near you sell them and what the different ones offer (he said they do 2 or 3 different ones, but not sure what he means)

Cal x

Thanks for the replies.

I only have a mobile, so have gone and bought an O2 Calling Card - £5 for a card which lasts 3 months, 9p to mobiles, so we'll see how that goes. Mobile to Mobile just isn't the best way I know, will just need to get my Aussie mates up to date with whatsapp!

If your after a sim card and are calling landlines the following is 1p a minute to call Australia:

lycamobile.co.uk

Libara does mobiles for 9p a minute or Giffgaff does mobiles for 10p a minute

There are loads of apps that you can call for free. I used to use viber which can be used on both iPhone and android phones. Otherwise face time or Skype?

The feature is called Skype To Go. You have to verify your mobile number with an SMS, but once setup it will give you an access number to call as shown (I removed the number). When you call that number you will get a "please enter the number you wish to dial" type message and you're on the way. For numbers I call regularly such as a friend in Australia, I have them setup in my phone dialer like this:

+1647xxx-xxx, 61 2 xxxx xxxx

Once setup if you dial like any other number in your mobile contacts.

Skype to Go works in the following countries..

• Australia
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg