cost of living in Adelaide

Barry1986

I agree with Jessica, but also think that these kinds of questions are like asking how long is a piece of string. If you look on Poms in Adelaide you will find that people's quarterly electricity bills range from $200 to over $1000. How do you decide where in the scale you will fit? Also things like insurance and the amount of petrol used will vary depending on where you live and how you get to work.

One of the big costs is housing so have a look on realestate.com.au to see what you might have to pay in rent each week. I can tell you that petrol is currently about $1.09 a litre and public transport is pretty cheap (about $3.48 for as many validations in a two hour period as you need if you have a metro card). Car costs include registration and car insurance, but I think the amount of rego depends on the size of the car. Mine was around $700 last year. You also have to pay for drivers licenses.

There are also a number of costs of living here that you don't really get in the UK. Like school fees and healthcare fees if your GP doesn't bulk bill. And the emergency services levy. I have a budget spreadsheet that has a long list of all the things we need to pay out for in a year. I haven't got it with me at the moment but next time I have access I'll try and remember to post the list of things I have on there.

Archived