Crunch time! Choosing a shipper.

Pookie72

Has anyone had any recent experience with John Mason, Anglo Pacific, Bournes or PSS? We have had them all out to quote (with the exception of PSS, which we did an online quote with based on the cubic footage estimations given by the other companies).

There is not much difference to be honest in the prices, apart from one company who have estimated a 100 cubic feet difference (less). Even still, the price per cubic foot is relatively the same - we are aware the true cost will only be realised when our belongings arrive at the company's depot. So all in all, we are looking at choosing our removal company based on recommendation. We would really appreciate some good feedback here!!

Also, has anyone managed to negotiate a lower price?

Bourses, yes. Absolutely 10/10, not a single item missing or broken. We filled the container and they worked extremely hard, were very polite and professional. I had used Bournes with work in UK, again always great. Not the cheapest however that is not always important. They also packed directly into the container and sealed on our driveway meaning no repackaged and reduced risk of damage. Also help them out by packing what you can yourself back into its original box but leave open so they can inspect and confirm its contents.

I would try and use them again if possible. Note they are part of a global network so can also vouch for their Australian partners. We got Chess Move this side, again great, a little more rough around the edges but nothing broken and very quick.

Be very careful on under estimating the volume as they sell on any spare space meaning if you need it then they will charge you extra. Yes you can negotiate, I got a couple £100 off, nothing too much however I had worked with Bournes many times previously.

Simon

We didn't use removal companies too expensive.....we did the lot ourselves.

Just used a shipping company to supply container,did the paperwork ourselves,organised customs clearance(that bit we used agent as we had zero time at this end to do that bit)....then sorted pick up when it was ready.

Saved about 35-40% in costs.

It did take some dedication but worth it.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Out of interest, do you mind sharing how much that ended up costing and for what size container?

We didn't use removal companies too expensive.....we did the lot ourselves.

Just used a shipping company to supply container,did the paperwork ourselves,organised customs clearance(that bit we used agent as we had zero time at this end to do that bit)....then sorted pick up when it was ready.

Saved about 35-40% in costs.

It did take some dedication but worth it.

We paid £1700 I think with ins too. It's was a 20ft container carrying our contents of 3 bed house.

We packed everything ourselves prior to shipping over several months months......then weekend before container arrived swamped with bodies and finished packing.

Container arrived then loaded up ourselves.

I shrink wrapped everything so it all stuck together in transit.

Filled up to back door with out leading to ceiling(approx 20cubic m)

When arrived not one thing broken.

Hard work but worth it.

Total cost door to door Inc cost this end was about £3200.

We paid £1700 I think with ins too. It's was a 20ft container carrying our contents of 3 bed house.

We packed everything ourselves prior to shipping over several months months......then weekend before container arrived swamped with bodies and finished packing.

Container arrived then loaded up ourselves.

I shrink wrapped everything so it all stuck together in transit.

Filled up to back door with out leading to ceiling(approx 20cubic m)

When arrived not one thing broken.

Hard work but worth it.

Total cost door to door Inc cost this end was about £3200.

Wow! You were very brave and organised! We are looking at shipping our belongings by groupage as we don't have enough stuff to fill a container for sole use, but are over volume for a move cube. We have chosen a company now and managed to negotiate a decent discount on the price per square foot plus a discount on the insurance. Happy days!

Archived