but after my base jumping exploits it should be more tame

thanks in advance

does anyone have any info on a pplm

private pilots licence

costings and if there is much difference than a UK licence test for pplm

...ask and it shall be yours....

what' d'you you want to know?

..the tests are much the same, but based pretty much on the Trevor Thom manuals

There are a cople of 'minor' tests....(medical, radio, aeronautics) then a restricted licence flight written test and flight test (within 10 nautuical miles of the airfield of departure), and then written final test, nav tests and a final flight test(including in-flight diversion to alternates). Bienneial flight review ever two years once qualified.

Please feel free to ask specific questions.

Guest jeffandmichelle

thanks fraser

what do you think it would cost in total for the licence just a guestimate

and is there a minimum number of flight hours per annum to retain the licence

would you go for new or secondhand and how much would you expect to pay, i was thinking it could be cheaper in Oz as it may be more popular than here in cold blightey

whats the average cost of insurance, its around £400 - £500 per annum here

would you prefer fixed wing

how can i convince her indoors i need it for work

thanks fraser

what do you think it would cost in total for the licence just a guestimate

Allow about 10 - 15 hours to first solo... about 30 Hours to area-solo and about 60 hours to PPL (VFR) ...and there are lots of VFR days here in Oz.... ... so, allowing for books and exam fees, allow, say, $14,000 all up. ... endorsements for retractable undercarrainge, tail-dragger, constant speed, IFR all extra of course ... if you want them.

and is there a minimum number of flight hours per annum to retain the licence

Yup... minimum 3 take-off and landings every 90 days, Medical and biennial flight review with an instructor every two years.

would you go for new or secondhand and how much would you expect to pay, i was thinking it could be cheaper in Oz as it may be more popular than here in cold blightey

...How long is a piece of string? Market is always fluctuation...and depends whether you want a C150, a Warrior, retractable, constant speed or whatever

whats the average cost of insurance, its around £400 - £500 per annum here

See above!

would you prefer fixed wing

Always!... but that's just me. You can learn microlight or ultralight cheaper of course... ultralights are OK... at least they react like real aircraft...even if most have no flaps and you need to learn to sideslip... but microlights give me the willies... just a canopy and an engine! :?

how can i convince her indoors i need it for work

Now your definitely on your own! :lol: [/b]

Guest jeffandmichelle

Fraser

how can i thank you enough,

many thanks for replying in such an informative and helpful way

this is something i really want to do

a midlife crisis almost 45 and in need of a personal activity :roll:

i just hope i get accepted

thanks again

jeff

Fraser

how can i thank you enough,

many thanks for replying in such an informative and helpful way

this is something i really want to do

a midlife crisis almost 45 and in need of a personal activity :roll:

i just hope i get accepted

thanks again

jeff

Where are you looking to live... most major and indeed most Regional centres have flying schools... in the major centres they tend to be away from Principal airports... for example in Melbourne at Essendon, Moorabbin and Point Cook... In Perth at jandakot etc...

trust me...its great fun... They say that first solo is the key moment in your flying career, as that is the first moment that you are on your own.... but for me it was first area solo... the first time I left the airfield circuit by myself...and flew down over Port Phillip bay to the Bellarine Peninsula and then the great southern ocean...

Guest jeffandmichelle

Hi fraser

we really dont have a clue

were mixed up when it comes to location

we look at the property websites and say cor that looks lovely

weve had some people say perth is lovely and others say queensland etc

so we were thinking of spending a few weeks in different locations to see what we like, but we also have to consider the kids

we bought some dvds from globetrekker but they were more targeted for backpacking

i think weve yet another year before we have to make a definite decision

still waiting for the tra

• 4 weeks later...

Fraser is spot on with his info . I learned to fly at the grand old age of 49 . I suppose you could say it was a mid age crisis , I don't know . All I know is it is the best thing I have ever done . I now have 90hrs in my logbook and cherish the days when I fly . I could never afford to learn in England , I was there a few weeks ago and it is truly a rich persons pastime . In Australia it is possible for the "ordinary " person to achieve a pilots licence . The longest flight to date is 305 miles non stop , taking a little over 3 hrs . Try that in your Ford Mondeo !! .

Have fun .

Dave

Archived