Refusals - Why and how?

confidemus

I don't mean to start a bummer of a thread here :unsure:, but I'm curious to know details about instances where applications for 189 visas have been refused by DIBP. Specifically why have they been refused; and if they have, what did the communications surrounding it look like?

There seems to be hardly any posts anywhere on site surrounding refusals and I'm not sure if that's because it only happens once in a blue moon, or (understandably) those unfortunate to get one just don't post anything about it!

I don't mean to start a bummer of a thread here :unsure:, but I'm curious to know details about instances where applications for 189 visas have been refused by DIBP. Specifically why have they been refused; and if they have, what did the communications surrounding it look like?

There seems to be hardly any posts anywhere on site surrounding refusals and I'm not sure if that's because it only happens once in a blue moon, or (understandably) those unfortunate to get one just don't post anything about it!

There's been quite a few refusals posted on the forum in the past. But you are right, a lot of people don't post about it, and rather PM someone specific about it. I've had probably 20 such PM's in the last 6 months or so.

From what I have seen and been told about, it's a letter explaining the reason for the decision and a note that you may appeal.

The refusals I've heard about are generally related to overclaiming points and are to do with not having sufficient evidence of employment or misunderstanding the English language requirement. (Usually native English speakers claiming 20 points for superior English without actually doing the test).

One applicant submitted an EOI without a skills assessment and then received it after being invited, they were rejected because the assessment was dated after the EOI.

Another purposely overclaimed to get a quicker invitation and then submitted form 1023 to change their answers. They were unsurprisingly refused, I couldn't muster any sympathy for that one.

Archived