Firefighters pension

MTB & G

Hi all

Have any Firefighters out they’re transferred there fund value to a qualifying scheme over here yet, or will be doing so in the near future?

Can we pick a fund and transfer ourselves or should we use a ‘broker’

I would be grateful for any insight on this matter

Thanx M

ah, I have finally found someone!

I am a FF as well (are you still?) and have no skill apart from this.

When you leave you are able to transfer the fund into anything you want: another UK job, police pension etc.If you don't then it is frozen and you get paid out at 60 but I don't think this is index linked.

You will need to get a "figure" from your pensions dept as to what it is worth now and what it will give you at aged 60. Then take the figures to a company that deals with this so that they can work out what you are best doing, leaving it where it is or transferring. I understand they charge about $300.

If you are on a career break you are allowed to pay the brigade the amount that you would have had to pay in pension payments. I have just found that out.

On a personal note it would be good to keep in contact with you and find out how you are getting on.I am really scared as my wife is sorted regards her career (nurse) but I am not. What are you going to do over there?

JOHN

Archived