176 permanent resident visa- 5 year travel period about to expire

I am in Australia on a 176 skilled migrant (permanent resident) visa with my family. We've been here just over 4 years so can now apply for citizenship. Our visa grant notice says our visa cease date is in January 2016. I think this then means we have to get a resident return visa if we want to travel outside Australia and return? If we haven't already got citizenship I mean. Do I only need that resident return visa if we travel overseas?

However, my son's UK passport is due to expire in December, so I need to send it off to get it renewed. And the problem is i'll also need his passport to include him on my citizenship application. And probably the resident return visa application too if we did that in the meantime!

If I wait until I receive his new UK passport to do the citizenship application, and this is after the date in January when our visa expires, would we be in trouble if we suddenly needed to travel? Can I just wait and do nothing until I get his passport back and still legally be in the country e.g is it ok as long as I don't travel anywhere?

Really confused!

Not sure whether to send his UK passport off for renewal now, or not!

Anyone got any advice?

Thanks

A UK passport renewal doesn't take that long from overseas. Ours were back within a few weeks. You could apply for a renewal now for him I'd think.

My mother inlaw has been here thirty years on pr doesn't even have a valid passport now. You only need a resident return visa if you want to leave the country.

Archived