Can a dual UK/NZ Citizen (on standard temporary visa) leave Australia on a UK passport?

mylesu

Hi folks

Just thought I'd ask as I can't find the answer on Smart Traveller or the Govt. DFAT/Immi sites. I understand that Aust Citizens must leave on their Aust passports, but unsure what is required for NZ Citizens. I have two lapsed passports for UK and NZ, and would prefer to renew the UK one only.

Thanks

Myles

Hi folks

Just thought I'd ask as I can't find the answer on Smart Traveller or the Govt. DFAT/Immi sites. I understand that Aust Citizens must leave on their Aust passports, but unsure what is required for NZ Citizens. I have two lapsed passports for UK and NZ, and would prefer to renew the UK one only.

Thanks

Myles

No idea what a "standard temporary visa" is, there is nothing that goes by that name. You should leave by whatever passport you used to enter the country and has your visa in it. If you are not coming back and it is the NZ passport that is linked to your visa, well I guess you could argue the toss at immigration, you are leaving after all and I can't see why they should detain you. I would probably just renew it myself and avoid the worry.

Archived