Wife being sponsored

Guest Garyd

Hi all, as the subject line states, my wife has been offered a job in Sydney and they are sponsoring her. Question is, what does this mean for me, what type of visa would I get?

Hope someone can clear this up? They are also looking at making it a fastrack application, anyone know how long this can take?

Cheers

Gary

Gary,

You should be issued with the same category of visa as your wife.

Is she being sponsored for a long term temporary visa (subclass number 457), or a permanent residency visa under the Employer Nomination Scheme? I'd usually be looking for the latter, because it provides for permanent residency straightaway.

If a 457 visa is on offer, I'd be asking the prospective employer about the tax free Living Away From Home Allowance - it can make quite a large difference to your take home pay if the LAFHA is included in the salary package. Maybe do a google search (at http://www.google.com.au) for Living Away From Home Allowance ...

Note that the LAFHA has to be part of the agreed salary package BEFORE a contract of employment is signed. You can't claim it subsequently.

Best regards.

Alan,

Thanks for the reply and the tip. Not sure what visa is being offered yet as we are waiting for them to get back to us about whether they are going to Fastrack it. Any Idea how long a fastrack application can take.

Gary

Alan,

Thanks for the reply and the tip. Not sure what visa is being offered yet as we are waiting for them to get back to us about whether they are going to Fastrack it. Any Idea how long a fastrack application can take.

Gary

Guest bewildered

Hi

My mother in law was employer sponsored as a midwife. She applied for the job in the August and had to move in the October. My father in law was included in the visa application but he didn't move out with her initially.

Hope this helps

Bewildered, very useful for the time frame. They want my wife to start in the begining of Jan! Anybody want to buy a house and a couple of cars all before christmas!!!

Archived