Base to explore

k886

Hi everyone

I have been looking on airbnb for a rental for when we arrive in Melbourne in April. We have been declined a place twice now one in brunswick and one in seddon ):

I have heard St Kilda is rough but there seems to be loads of nice rentals online. I have a 3 year old so obviously dont wanna be staying in party central or somewhere we dont feel safe. Should I rule St Kilda out or give it a go?

St Kilda is an area where lot's of backpackers stay, a lot of night-life there too, traditionally it was known for prostitution although it doesn't seem as visible as it once was, I've probably painted a den of inequity, it's not really rough but if you are looking for a bit of peace and quiet St Kilda is probably not the place.

I would look at Kew, Hawthorn, Ivanhoe is lovely and has train line.

The suburbs close in to the city are very popular with young professionals but I don't think they are very child friendly. You could also look at Elsternwick and Brighton both on a train line and not that far out.

Should I rule St Kilda out or give it a go?

I walk the streets of St Kilda for an hour once a week while waiting for my children to do a class.

The beach area is lovely as is Albert Park. Some of the back streets have nice houses.

The main streets themselves seem to have a lot of rough looking people lying down shouting incomprehensibly at you. There seem to be a lot of hostels for homeless/druggie people.

I personally wouldn't bring up a child there unless your priority was for them to become streetwise or something.

BB

Archived