Just passed driving test in UK how does that go in Australia

Beddy

My daughter had not had any driving lessons before we came over to live in Australia 3 years ago . she has been going back and forward over the last 3 years for various reasons and whilst in England had driving lessons . she recently went back to England for a few months and has just passed her UK driving test . she has had no lessons in Australia . When she comes back to Australia in the next month she will have a UK licence but no experience of driving over here . I am on the understanding that she will have to go on her P's over here but have no understanding of the differentiation between the red and green p's . I also think she should have some lessons over here to learn the road rules , especially the merging ..she has just turned 21 and although she might be ready for the UK roads as that's where she has passed her test I worry that she won't be ready for the roads in Oz . Any advice is much appreciated

I passed test in UK n moved to aus the same week...no experience driving in aus. .I got full aus licence the following week and took my time going out in quiet areas at quiet times n i find driving in aus waaaay easier than uk..she could do sum lessons if it would make her more comfortable. ..but I don't see any major differences n no accidents so far!

• 4 weeks later...

Has your daughter moved back to Australia yet, and what was the procedure? It will be similar circumstances for my son... I heard if they haven't had a license for over one year they may have to take a test in Oz, but of course thats might not true...

Has your daughter moved back to Australia yet, and what was the procedure? It will be similar circumstances for my son... I heard if they haven't had a license for over one year they may have to take a test in Oz, but of course thats might not true...

Sorry for late reply ..my daughter comes back early December so won't know until then how her uk licence will transfer in QLD but previous poster whom

I vey much appreciate their response had no problems so hoping for the same . I had heard the same as you and also of an 18 year old having to go on their P's after newly gaining full uk drivers licence . I'm wondering if it is age related so will research as it may also be state related . To be honest I haven't researched apart from posting on here and local hearsay so will look into it further and let you know the outcome

I checked the rules in Victoria:-

For holders of a full licence:

If under 21 and have held licence for less than 12 months from 18th Birthday (i.e. driving experience as a 17 year old doesn't count) = P1 Licence (Red P)

If under 21 and have held licence for more than 12 months from 18th Birthday = P2 Licence (Green P)

If over 21 = Full licence

Thanks Ken for your reply it's very much appreciated .I followed your lead and looked on the QLD site and couldn't find any age restrictions for transferring from a Uk licence to a QLD licence .There are however references to novice drivers under 25 gaining their open licence after learning to drive in QLD so I'm going to go into a transport office and find out as I found the site a bit confusing lol

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived