Where to live ?

Farida

Echoing flag above, go where the work is. You can find nice areas in all the main cities I would think.

We are in Adelaide and I am very happy with it. Didn't want to live near a beach so don't. But its still only a 10 minute drive from our door. Depending on the area, good state schools abound. In and around Adelaide. Also lots of private choices.

The CBD itself is lovely, small and compact. Many of the suburbs are to me rather Stepford Wives living like but they are generally safe. I don't mind walking round our local area at 6am or 10pm (many are out for a run or walk in the mornings). Sure there is the odd thing like a hoon driver across the local reserve at 3am but that is maybe once or twice a year.

The whole better life thing, don't buy into that mindset IMHO else you could be setting yourself up for a fall. It can be a good life but its still the same day to day living with of course noticeable differences to the UK. Its hot in spring, hotter in summer and hot in autumn. Although the spring and autumn heat is liveable. But the UV is harsh. You could move an hour or 3 away from your current area in the UK and improve your lifestyle and quality of living most likely. Depends where you go. We left a lovely area of England to move here.

Its migrating, its hard going for many, securing work can be tough and its not always roses. But it can work out well and often does for many. For some not. If you want to move, do so with an open mind and don't view Aus as being the fix or solution to your problems in the UK. Stuff that happens there happens here still.

Yup I get 20 days and have to use 7 of those for the Xmas shut down. All my jobs in the UK were 25 days (28 for my one public sector role) and only 5 days were permitted to be carried forward to the next year and usually had to be taken by March - unless there were 'exceptional circumstances'.

Echoing flag above, go where the work is. You can find nice areas in all the main cities I would think.

We are in Adelaide and I am very happy with it. Didn't want to live near a beach so don't. But its still only a 10 minute drive from our door. Depending on the area, good state schools abound. In and around Adelaide. Also lots of private choices.

The CBD itself is lovely, small and compact. Many of the suburbs are to me rather Stepford Wives living like but they are generally safe. I don't mind walking round our local area at 6am or 10pm (many are out for a run or walk in the mornings). Sure there is the odd thing like a hoon driver across the local reserve at 3am but that is maybe once or twice a year.

The whole better life thing, don't buy into that mindset IMHO else you could be setting yourself up for a fall. It can be a good life but its still the same day to day living with of course noticeable differences to the UK. Its hot in spring, hotter in summer and hot in autumn. Although the spring and autumn heat is liveable. But the UV is harsh. You could move an hour or 3 away from your current area in the UK and improve your lifestyle and quality of living most likely. Depends where you go. We left a lovely area of England to move here.

Its migrating, its hard going for many, securing work can be tough and its not always roses. But it can work out well and often does for many. For some not. If you want to move, do so with an open mind and don't view Aus as being the fix or solution to your problems in the UK. Stuff that happens there happens here still.

Completely agree. Now that we have been here a few months we have settled into the same routine of work, ferrying children around, bed! Can't fault it though - couldn't be happer :-) Ironically we were after a more outdoorsy lifestyle but the children are so active at school and at all their clubs that all they want to do on Sunday afternoons is play with their toys and get in some computer time! Kids will want to do the same things wherever they are in the world. There are a multitude of advantages for us being here but you aren't suddenly going to get a longer day to fit in everything.

Archived